Galloni and 19 Napa Reviews

Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 9.38.39 AM.png

No.

BTW - i happen to disagree with this review, i think a great bottle

agree why even publish that

I agree. I had the 2019 Quivet LPV in October and it was much better than a 92 point wine, to my palate. I tend to think Galloniā€™s reviews are at least a few points lower than my own take on most of Mikeā€™s cabs.

I completely disagree re: why publish it. If a reviewer believes the wines are ā€œXā€ and do not enjoy, they should share those just as much as wines they enjoy.

6 Likes

I would ask for another sample if 4 other reviewers were all over 92 points.

Stewart got crushed by these scores which is interesting. Galloni doesnā€™t seem to love big fruity Napa wines and prefers the more restrained ones when compared to LBP. Scores were about in line with what Iā€™d expect. He really loves Sinegal wines for some reason too.

Plenty of other ā€˜big, fruityā€™ cabs that did not get slammed. Gotta be something else . . .

Cheers.

John i was responding to your comment about 80 point scores, not a rating of myriad or another wine

and if yours is about stewart, he had a number of low 80s sores. it is what it is. I respect when reviewers say what they think even if i disagree (like the SQN review i posted above)

I donā€™t know what youā€™re looking at. Myriad got generally great scores, with a disappointing score for Bourn and GIII Empyrean. I really appreciate the apparent honesty and Antonio not being afraid to let us know when he thinks a more expensive wine is worse than less expensive wines from the same lineup.

Does anyone know if he had barrel scores out prior to most of these wines being released? This is information I would pay for if it was available prior to the wines being offered for sale.

he did not. I have not seen him have myriad barrel scores, nor WA of late. Jeb does more often

1 Like

So are you saying other reviewers arenā€™t being honest?

Welcome to the rabbit hole or can if worms.

This should be fun . . .

Cheers

2 Likes

Our Berserkerday friends Erin and Massimo did well with AG ā€“ Di Costanzo Caldwell = 97 points. FWIW, the 2013 Farella is starting to wake up and itā€™s everything I had hoped.

I subscribe to Vinous chiefly for his Italian coverage and Nealā€™s coverage of France. I do not subscribe to Jebā€™s site, however in reading WB, his scores and reviews on various retailer sites, I feel I have an understanding of what he likes in wines. In comparing Galloniā€™s notes in his report, for some of the wines discussed here, while the scores do not correlate to each other, the notes are similar. For some of the wines he expressly states the wine isnā€™t for him as he doesnā€™t like how fruit forward and how big the wine is. To me each critic is correct and honest, likes and dislikes in the wine explain the score variation.

1 Like

I feel like the critics are damned if they do and damned if they donā€™t. People complain when certain critics dare to give out several 100s, 99s, 98s, but when they go to 90 or god forbid the dreaded 80s, people complain again. While itā€™s very possible that the same people arenā€™t complaining about both ends of the spectrum, it seems like people want critics to use a 90 - 96 point scale. Furthermore, sometimes it seems as if people are looking for validation of their tastes/preferences more than information to help them better understand a wine/vintage/producer.

I really appreciate when critics are willing to give their honest opinion of a wine, even if they really disliked it, whether I agree with them or not. Itā€™s another useful datapoint for me.

9 Likes

When I said I appreciate his honesty, I more meant I appreciate his ability to seemingly score and review without suffering from an overwhelming affect of bias or cognitive dissonance. While I donā€™t think any other reviewers are being dishonest, at times, I feel scores may just a bit suspect when they align nearly perfectly with the price of the wine, especially when the wines werenā€™t tasted blind. I think a lot of, if not most, people (both professional and casual) have trouble completely separating the price and reputation of a wine/producer from their thoughts on the wine. This would also be supported with basic principles of psychology, and often seems potentially evident in many pro publications as well as on CellarTracker and Vivino.

1 Like

Taking stock in WS and WE is borderline repulsive.

And 78 does not mean borderline repulsive. Its more like average quality. Someone charging Napa prices should never be there.

While I respectfully disagree with your above comments, my question isnā€™t really centered around scores, itā€™s around the content of the reviews themselves.

I appreciate people calling it like they see it, but when multiple publications (whether you like them or not) all seem in line and another seems drastically different in their experience, that seems more than odd to me.