Gaja Sori Tildin

I think you even liked the Corino Rocche that I brought, no?

I must have been drunk.But I wasn’t.
Let me just say that I didn’t find it disagreeable… [wink.gif]

Loved the Cappellano and Antonio’s fresh 90 Giacosa Barbaresco…not to mention the Falletto Riserva!

Bill, cut the man some slack! :slight_smile: The 1990 Corino Rocche was the best wine that Renato ever made, in his own very humble opinion. I do not have any left, but it was the only La Morra wine that I ever tasted that I drank in case quantity. Yes, including everything that Altare ever made, and SURELY everything that Roberto Voerzio ever made…

One other curiosity…I wonder who bought, and who is buying, Gaja’s wines these days, given the little wine board traffic they generate. The older ones seem to have appreciated in value, but not really at the same level as Giacosas and Monfortino.

Speaking of Voerzio,there was a 90 Brunate at the dinner that…wasn’t too bad either…;)good foil for the Rinaldi Brunate

But did Ken cut his with Coke on the night in question? :slight_smile:

I want a 1990 G. Rinaldi Brunate. I want it a lot. I am suddenly nostalgic. There may not be any left…

Leaving for a South Africa next Saturday, which really is a once in lifetime trip for me, plus I’m getting married two weeks after I get back! So, I’ve decided to open my 1998 Gaja Sori Tildin tonight with dinner paired with my fiancé’s awesome mushroom risotto! Not sure what protein we’re doing, we’ll see what looks good at the market. Plus a white and 2005 Vin da Constance with dessert. Since it’s a wine work trip to South Africa and she doesn’t get to go. I’m thinking on opening the Gaja around noon-1pm, so pretty much now. We probably won’t eat till 8-8:30pm would this be a good amount of decant time? I don’t have much experience decanting old Italians and the younger Gaja’s I’ve tasted were massive wines.
[cheers.gif]

Tasting update:

Had dinner at around 9pm, with about a 8 hour decant. Lovely aromas of cedar and sandalwood with, nice ripe dark cherries. Tar, roses and licorice as well. Still seemed a bit closed in the nose though. No orange color at all on the edges. Looks very young, dark red to violet in color. Equal flavors on the palate. Tannins were still quite grippy. This wine has a long life ahead of it, still a baby.
Drank barely half the bottle and poured the rest back into the bottle from the decanter(double decanted) to drink the following night with dinner. Much better the second night. More open on the nose and palate. Tannins had intergrated a lot more with a nice silky texture. Overall a great wine. Wish the prices were’nt so high. I’d like to see some bottles of Gaja with 20-25 years age on them. Maybe I’ll get lucky and my boss will give me another bottle for Christmas again(Ha!). Might have to hunt around for bottles at a reasonable prices. Pretty sure I baby killed this one [head-bang.gif] Oh well, still a great experience.