Full body, black fruit, and funky...name your poison

That’s what I was thinking too. And given the grapes used and the general weather, unless it’s a cold summer, that would seem to be what you’d expect. And for the OP, look to Rasteau. Last night we had a 2011 Martinelli Syrah and there was plenty of old-school funk on that. Comes in at 13.7, unlike their Zins.

The word “funky” being in the subject line, this suggestion makes no sense (yes, there are exceptions, but typically, not at all).

Too broad a brush: off the top of my head, both Gour de Chaulé and Clos du Juncuas, neither of them remotely Cambie, are dark fruited. In the old days, Cayron and Pallieres were also both very traditional and very dark fruited. They may still be but I haven’t followed them as much and both have changed owners. There are no doubt more.

Note I said “more modern class”. That would exclude the traditionalists, which from my perspective, have become just a few.

Oh who died and made you the funky police?

Those were the two (traditionalists) that came to my mind as being more dark-fruited.

The '16 Cayron is really good, and I didn’t think it was tarted up. I bought a bunch.

I might even look at something like Herman Story Nuts and Bolts

If what you were saying is that you don’t like Cambie-ized Gigondases (many of which have bright red fruit, in their fashion) I’d be with you. I took you to be saying that all dark-fruited Gigondases were modern, a very different claim.

I thought the 2016 Adremily Mourvdre had a good amount of funky and savory elements on the nose and a lot of luscious, dark fruit (and some earth and a touch of savoriness) on the palate. However, I think the wine needs more time to develop and come together before palate catches up to the nose.

The 2014 Myriad Las Madres Syrah was excellent on Sunday with plenty of savory (and funky?) notes of olive brine, smoked meat, game, and bacon fat, with some nice, darker fruit. It’s primarily savory/funky upon opening with some fruit notes behind it, but after an hour or two, the fruit and the savory elements share the flavor profile about 50/50, give or take. Some thought the finish was a tad short, but I thought it was an excellent wine, especially for the price.

On a random note… chianti colli senesi has some of the earthiest funk I’ve smelled/sipped…and it’s on the fuller side with a substantial mouth feel. Dirt cheap at 15-20… really surprised me because I loathe the usual acid/tart from cheaper renditions of Sangiovese.

Haha, I’m self-appointed!

But seriously, he also said this

But only ones that make you feel like you are literally drinking from the musty basement of the cellar…and not simply because of the oak taste/smell.

, which is as far from typical Australia as it gets.

Those marching orders make me think of Sicily. Nero d’Avola or Cerasuolo. Lots of sausage/charcuterie funk. Occhipinti, COS, Gulfi.

+1