From what states in the US have you had good or at least palatable wine?

CA,WA,OR,NY,CO. I have also had wine from NY, CA and CO I couldn’t drink . And have also had wine from NM (Gruet-in the past).

Good- CA, WA, OR
Palatable- NY
Bad- VA, PA

Curious if any Berserkers belong to wine clubs in those states they consider “good wine” save for the three above.

Legit good to great wines from CA, OR, WA, NY and NM.

Palatable from PA and TX, but nothing I’d ever consider memorable. Most of it was pretty bad, though. My most recent PA try was a nasty brett-laden Chambourcin.

No experience but I have heard about some decent wine being made in VA, MI, ID, AZ, and CO.

I’ve had excellent wines from the usual suspects, CA, OR, WA, NY, MI, pretty tasty wines from ID, CO, and NM. Somewhat drinkable wines from TX, VA and AZ, and totally undrinkable wines from a number of other mid-west states.

Alphabetically:

AZ
CA
CO
CT
ID
MI
MO
NM
NY
OH
OR
TX
VA
WA

Not now but was in RdV and the Linden case club (not a club in the traditional sense) in the past. But to be fair I dropped all clubs except one (Calluna) so don’t read too much into the dropping as that puts them in the company of Ridge and Tablas Creek among others.

CA
WA
OR

are great

almost all else is just BS, and where were the grapes from anyway LOL

That’s quite discriminatory…

put me in jail LOL

I’ve had some surprises…Here are the wines that really stood out for me.

CA: 2002 Teachworth Cabernet Sauvignon Manzanita Hill Vineyard (750ml in 2008)
OR: 1990 Elk Cove Vineyards Pinot Noir Reserve (750ml in 2010)
WA: 1994 Quilceda Creek Cabernet Sauvignon (750ml in 2013)
ME: 1989 Bartlett Blueberry Wild Blueberry Oak Dry (750ml in 2019)
NY: 2013 Hermann J. Wiemer Cabernet Franc Magdalena Vineyard (750ml in 2016)
MA: 2000 Westport Rivers Blanc de Blancs Ultra Brut Westport Rivers (in 2011)
PA: 1986 Allegro Vineyards Cadenza Allegro Vineyards (1500ml in 2010)
ID: 2005 Ste. Chapelle Riesling Special Harvest Winemaker’s Series (750ml in 2007)

CA, WA, OR, NY, VT, MD, MI, VA, TX… And I’m sure soon to expand into multiple other states, with the impending releases of the wines and piquette from American Wine Project (https://americanwineproject.com/).

Gotta say I’m pretty psyched to see NY on almost every list!

Alaska has several wineries. But they all import their grapes so not sure if that counts in this exercise.

Tier 1: Calif, Oregon, Washington
Tier 2: Arizona, NM, New York
– now we get into “drinkable” –
Tier 3: Texas, Colorado, Arkansas, Illinois, NC, Virginia, Missouri, RI, Penn
– and finally, hard to swallow –
Tier 4: Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Minn, Georgia

I’ve had quite decent wine from AZ even if it was 3.9 pH lol. Don’t remember what it was but it was a Rhône varietal

Also NY and NM

I don’t think it’s NM wine any more, and it was better when it was. I’m not sure if they make any Estate wines that are.

Tier 10: Florida

We have wineries. Lots of them.

Didn’t read the OP. Should we all delete our posts?

I have had quite good wines from BC and Ontario. Can I count Baja, even though it is probably not officially a state?

almost all else is just BS, and where were the grapes from anyway LOL

All BS? I assume you’ve had plenty of samples and speak from broad experience. But the grapes for all that I’ve seen would be from those states. Not sure why CA and WA and OR would be the only states that can produce good wine.

offline pending [cheers.gif]
I’ll sneak a tier 11 SC wine into the lineup.