Fried Chicken over Turkey?

Depending on how the other dishes turn out, that person may complain the least. neener

The apple crisp dessert in the TV dinner is fantastic.

I make a much better apple crisp, with apples, ginger, and dried cranberries, spiced with cinnamon and cloves. Its topping is a mixture of oatmeal, butter, and molasses.

why is fried turkey not an option?

Turkey by itself isn’t one of my favorite foods, but it is an integral companion to my cornbread and Challah dressing with turkey gravy, which is. The dressing and gravy is a two to three day project I’ve spent years refining and it wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without them or turkey to go with them.

But does the whole gelatinous mass of it come up when you try to take a bite with a fork?

Change in our plans. Rather than stone crabs for the main course, Lawry’s is 10 minutes away and will deliver prime rib dinner hot and ready to eat. My dad is one happy 90 year old!

1 Like

Fried turkey if you haven’t tried it. So good! We brine ours in Frank’s hot sauce for 24 hours.

The oatmeal topping is NOT moistened, sits entirely atop the fruit, and oven-toasts to a crispy, light texture. That prevents the dish from becoming a heavy mass.

Are you willing to share the recipe? It sounds potentially amazing – and while I am not a big turkey fan, like you I love good stuffing and gravy, and turkey usually is a good foil for those.

I mean… bird on bird action is a different kind of site. haha.

Oh that sounds like the way to go for sure!

Question about smoked turkey… how is the skin texture like after smoking? Is it chewy or do you smoke it hotter where it gets a little dryer?

That’s a lot of oil to use tbh… and oil isn’t that cheap all things considered.

Hot and Ready… how I like it xD ! Hooray for dad!

Add in the 911 emergency calls in lieu of dinner, and the Monday call to the home insurance agent.
I hear that the Red Cross does a great last-minute dinner.

I spatchcock and the half it. I brined it once a couple years ago, but now just do a nice dry rub all over. I use cherry branches and smoke it at 220 overnight. It is the most tender and moist turkey I’ve ever fixed.

Even professional cooks kind of get a bit antsy when they think about deep frying a whole turkey… that’s what gives me concern. If they’re not 100% onboard an avid home cook like me I’m thinking… nah.

Ah, that makes sense. I’ve heard of poultry getting chewy if they don’t hit temp, but this makes sense.

I don’t have a huge crowd, so I just deep fry a 1 - 2lb turkey breast in my kitchen.

1 Like