Friday TNs: Two Rosso di Montalcinos

• 2012 Azienda Agricola San Giuseppe Rosso di Montalcino Stella di Campalto - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Rosso di Montalcino (9/9/2022)
    I've been tracking this wine since I bought a case on release - while my experience has been very positive on the whole, I would put this wine in the "drink soon" category, as I see no further upside at this point. My previous bottle had developed a prune note on the nose that was troubling, and this bottle is much fresher. That said, at 10 years of age it no longer possesses the liveliness that earlier bottles displayed. Candied red fruits on the nose, decent acidity with a medicinal note on the palate, this is fully mature at this point.
  • 2016 Pian dell'Orino Rosso di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Rosso di Montalcino (9/9/2022)
    One reason why I love side-by-side tasting - the vibrancy of this wine is immediately evident after having a glass of the mature Stella do Campalto. Whenever I try a Pian dell'Orino, one of my most frequent thoughts is why don't I buy more of his wine? They don't resonate with me quite as much as Stella's wines do, but they are very close and generally more reasonably priced.

A focused nose with red & black fruit, good acidity and persistence on the palate, this wine is really delicious. It's a Friday afternoon, the stock market closed up and I'm sitting here with some Parmigiana Reggiano and a couple Rossos - life is good!

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes

Bob, a fairly recent 2017 Rosso from Pian dell’Orino was also delicious. I should be buying more of them, too. I think I hesitate to buy more than I do because of the price. For $50, and for what is basically their “second” wine, I often think I should be buying a higher end Chianti, or Brunello at that price. Although, it is getting more challenging now for Brunello at that price

I’ll have to buy more the next time Rob offers them.

Jeff & Bob we have similar tastes - I love both these producers. Sadly the Rosso price is creeping up and makes me think about replacing it with some better value in Tuscany. Happily there are a lot!

With a quality-oriented producer like Pian dell’Orino or Stella di Campalto, I’m not sure it’s accurate to think of the Rosso as a 2nd wine - as an example, I’m not sure I’ve ever had a La Gerla or Caparzo Brunello that drank as well as the PdO Rosso.