Freaking out about wine shipping heat damage

Brian - so you’re saying this holds true in your mind assuming cold chain shipping, for normal ground shipping, different story in your mind?

Here’s my experiment. Wine Library for some reason thought it was a good idea to ship a case of Langhe Neb on the HOTTEST day of the summer. It sat out on my back porch a while until I got home. I opened it (styro packed) and what do you know? The bottles on the outside were very warm to the touch.

I guess if there’s some reason you NEED to have your wine shipped in the middle of the summer, knock yourself out. That may be especially true if you’re just going to drink it soon (even then…). But why anyone would ship a case of wine that they are going to keep in their cellar for years in the middle of summer is just beyond me.

FWIW – they were very good about it.

You shipped frozen water in decent conditions, and you’re trying to draw inferences from that experience to wine?

That seems like a bad idea.

Well, that’s where I was going with this at first but it’s seemed to have derailed a bit. Shocking!

Yeah, that’s it exactly.
BD322CE5-54E6-429E-8B30-33D733E94B24.jpeg

Always happens that way. I don’t think a lot of folks ship cold chain unless you pay an arm and a leg. Living in Atlanta makes it hard to ship wine about half the year because of this, then again Vinevault will pick up monthly and travel in a heat controlled truck for a reasonable price.

[highfive.gif]

Exactly. This “experiment” proves nothing. SO what’s the point - that wineries/retailers can and Should ship any freekin time they want, and the onus should be on the customer? Sounds like the bad old days to me.

Whatever. I’m glad your home chemistry experiment was a success by your metrics.

I continue to be glad none of the California retailers I buy from or the one California producer whose list I’m on ship to the East Coast during hot weather.

For the time spent in the back of a UPS delivery van, wouldn’t the translucent plastic roof allow the temps inside to exceed those outside?
Sure would not want a late PM delivery on a hot day.

champagne.gif

SCIENCE!!!

Aquafina = plonk
Get on the mailing list for Aqua di Crystallo Tributo E Modiglina

$60K/750ml; so 2-3x DRC RC

Huh???

I agree that some concerns over heat (or cold) during shipping are overblown. However a conclusive result based on the scientific method, this was not.

Please dont do a study on vaccines.

Plus styro sucks.

Thank you for reading about and commenting on my controlled experiment that proves once and for all that wine shipped on the hottest day of the year has no chance of ever getting heat damaged.

Glad I was able to share my “experience” with you all. It showed me that I really didn’t need those frozen water bottles, winery direct cold chain shipped wines delivered on 80 degree days are pretty darn safe from heat damage and wine geeks unnecessarily freak out in these situations. [berserker.gif]

there are temperature loggers one can use that would be more accurate.

Thanks, wine country boy.

Recently got an email for K & L saying they can only store wines for 6 months and please make arrangements to have your wine shipped. It was 92 degrees the day the email arrived. Give me a break.

have to disagree with the gist of your post entirely. foremost, if spending $100+ / bottle, there is no reason whatsoever for the winery to be shipping at this time. second, freezing a bottle is in no way relative to shipping a bottle of wine at room temperature. lastly, it is a known fact wineries lie about “cold chain” all of the time.

That may have been an automated e-mail. I’m sure if you requested a ship date in the fall, they would hold it an additional few months for you.