Freaking Awesome Village !!

At $125 the question isn’t whether it’s an “awesome village wine” it’s whether it is better than the numerous grand crus you could get for that price

(Ok — edited after a glance at Winesearcher — it’s a $100 wine but that is still into the territory of decent lower level Grand Crus)

intrigued by the OP I did a quick search and the first retailer that popped up (I thought K&L but apparently not) had it for $125. I see now it is available for $100 elsewhere but yes the point remains.

Out of curiosity, which decent grand crus are you getting for $100 in 2015?

Decent?

Maybe some Corton Pougets? Jadot?

Not saying I agree with the premise though … a great village wine scratches a different itch than an OK Grand Cru.

I thought that too. But Corton is the grand cru people most put in quotation marks (often with good reason), and where does one get Jadot grand crus for @100? Of Jadot’s grand crus, the cheapest non-Corton is likely the Clos Vougeot, which can be had for a somewhat similar price…in 2011 and 2004. I’ve had Jadot from those years. Once.

I opened one of these last Wednesday. It was much better the second day. Lots of vigor. I think this is going through a dumb phase.

Bought this in 2017 and it was only $95.

this is peak online wine discourse. congrats.

Exactly, the terminology “Village” starts to mean very little when the price is well into Premier Cru and maybe baby Grand Cru territory.

I think I might disagree, today the 2015 Fourrier is $100, but I paid $75 for the Fourrier in 2018, which was $1 less than what I paid for the 2010 in 2016. (Man I wish I had bought more of the 2010’s). Someone brought up the 2015 Jadot Corton-Pougets. If we’re looking at these two wines and how my money was spent, I paid $120 ($45 more) for the 2015 Jadot Corton-Pougets in 2018 and still think that was a smart call given how long Corton is known to age & the quality of the vintage. If you’re comparing the wines I think it’s important to note that they are totally different wines, different regions, and intended for different amount of time sideways.

Neither is better, they’re just different and so the price differs. Are there other wines that are equally as good? Sure, on that level, I think so. However, there are a few producers who’s wines are a singular expression of a town, village, etc. That’s probably why the price is higher and why people are willing to pay more. I plan to drink the Fourrier sometime over the next 3-10 years but won’t touch the 2015 Corton for another 20+ years. I still think that the Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin VV is a wine that warrants the $75 price tag.

Back to the question, are there better wines to be had in the same price or lower…certainly. But none of them taste like the Fourrier does…and that’s why we all love wine so much. The singular experience or expression of a place in time.

Wine I bought most in my life was VCC 2004 … 36 bottles. Second wine I bought most in my life is Fourrier GC VV : 35 bottles… best purchase ever… this wine rocks.

Intriguing thought. Can you expand on this?

Again, what “baby Grand Crus” are available at $100? Several people have made this blanket assertion, but have yet to offer a single example.

Not many grand crus in $100 but I enjoy my Marchand-Tawse Corton. 2016 for $90 is what I paid.

I am not the burghead to answer the question intelligently but the non-Corton grand crus currently in my cellar for which I paid well under $100 within the last couple of years include 2013 Louis Jadot Clos Vougeot, and 2001 Domaine Louis Remy Clos de la Roche. I am sure the more knowledgeable burg folks here have a much broader array.

When you open Grand Cru bottles, it usually comes with some sense of gravity and high hopes. They ideally are opened after several years of aging. They are “special occasion” wines, which mean they too often fail to meet (unrealistically) heightened expectations. A village is wine is a grip-and-rip bottle, with little sense of obsessive anticipation. I also generally drink village wines on the younger side – for the fruit and freshness.

Village is Sbarro’s pizza, GC is Julia Child’s Boeuf Bourguignon.

So back to the main point, I don’t want to eat haute cuisine every night even if it were affordable. I don’t want to drink GC wine every night – if that makes sense. Sometimes I want an unfussy, open-knit delicious village wine that doesn’t ask much of me – Dujac MSD or Bouley Volnay.

Corton-Bressandes is a good Cru under $100 still for many growers.

But for non-Corton in the U.S. and current or recent release, that’s tough. There are a few Mazis if you look at W-S. Not much else.

And let’s be honest, there are plenty of 1er crus in the CdN (or even in Volnay) I’d much rather than than Corton-Bressandes. The contention that Fourrier’s village is verging on “baby grand cru” pricing status isn’t a real argument.

After all, who argues Roumier’s Amoureuses had better be good because they can buy Louis Latour’s Mazis for a fraction of the price?

I can’t comment on Louis Remy, but the Jadot certainly isn’t under $100 anymore - it was the first wine I thought of above in the thread. Unless you buy the 2013 by half a case (at @115 per bottle), it runs you @150 now.

OK, let’s forget Grand Cru then and focus on Premier Cru. Most of these have drifted up for sure, but probably closer to the $125 price tag for your Villages…