For you Cab Franc lovers, a new Washington project with a Franc focus...

Berserker Beau Carufel made a delightful Cabernet Franc from the Columbia Valley in Oregon. Here are my notes on the 2013 Random Wine Company Cabernet Franc: “Potpourri floral and spice in a good way, with some savory olive and bright cranberry fruit. One of the best New World Cabernet Francs I’ve had and by far the most similar to a Loire CF.“

I was very pleased with the Random Wine CF. I still have a sixer to pick up from a few years ago.
I usually let my WA CF spend considerable time in the cellar. Opened a second bottle of '14 Idiot’s Grace CF and it still needs a few more years.

Agreed that for my palate, Savage Grace is the best WA CF QPR for those who like an old world styled domestic CF.

The Niagara region in Ontario is my favorite place in North America for cab franc.

I spent a year working with Michael at Savage Grace and I think that he has clearly shown that Washington is very capable of producing Cabernet Franc that will appeal to fans of the Loire. The key is to avoid the hottest spots (Red Mountain, Horse Heaven Hills), farm to drive the style (larger canopy, greater yields) and make the wine with a light hand. Memaloose/Idiot’s Grace is another producer to check out if you like that style of Cab Franc. Basically look for any winery in the Gorge with Grace in the name (Savage Grace recently moved their production down there). I’m not making any Cab Franc this year, but am currently developing a site at high elevation on the Southernmost border of the Walla Walla AVA that I think will do the grape justice as well. I don’t know what Caleb Foster’s stylistic goals are, but I’ll definitely be curious to learn more about his project.

I understand what you are saying, Marc, as what you like is what you like which makes me understand how you can lump together what you do not like. Wa and Ca are not Loire just as Wa and Ca are not Burgundy for Pinot or Chard. I only caution that wine makers can change, new sites can arise, palates can change, and a new style can arise and survive well regardless if it is like the old world or if it is from the new world. Ca and Wa CF can certainly be more forward - that in itself can solve some greens/pepper issues Loire CF may have in difficult years. Conversely, hot sunny years in Ca and WA will not create what you like and expect from the grape. Maybe if you look for the cool, cloudy years these regions you may find something you like.

Good call on the Idiot’s Grace. I bought a couple from Full Pull and liked it quite a bit. Here was my TN from February of this year:

This is very good Cab Franc. Made in a fairly restrained style that lets the more herbal and wild notes in the variety come out and play nicely with the red cherry and dark raspberry fruit. Good now, will continue to be good for 3-5 more years. 90 pts.

Stopped today and saw Caleb…posted notes here.

… speaking of Cab Franc, we had a lovely little Cab Franc here in Walla Walla - produced by Armstrong winery…