For Doug Schulman! TN: 2010 François Chidaine Montlouis-sur-Loire Clos Habert

I have had Clos du Breuil that wasn’t Sec.

An update from tonight’s bottle:

2010 François Chidaine Montlouis-sur-Loire Clos Habert - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Montlouis-sur-Loire (3/9/2018)
Beeswax on the nose, along with some nice savory/spice notes, this is a fabulously rich wine, intense fruit oozing from every corner. There is RS here, but you don’t really notice it, as the acidity and overall balance are perfect. Fabulous complexity of flavor, with stone fruit, blood orange, quince, finishing long and rich, with just enough minerality poking through. Impossible not to keep refilling my glass. While some 14s seem to be progressing faster than expected, this 10 is still quite youthful, in a prime spot that should endure for a few years. (92 pts.)

AR, thanks for the updated TN. The 2010s really make me smile and to see the Habert cruising along is pretty cool.

What’s the worry with Huet, Chris?

Brian - the post from Chris was from 4 years ago.

oh, damn! Haha … hadn’t noticed that.

Decided to post on the 2000 Clos Habert in this thread because it drinks like a combination of Frank’s and Alan’s notes on the 2010. It’s fantastic. Fresh, just hinting at some tertiary development, with a long life ahead. Quite linear right now, more so than when younger and showing RS. Not bad for a rather unheralded Loire vintage. Only one more bottle left, but I’ll try the second half of this bottle over the next few days.

Jayson, pretty cool to see you have Chidaine that is pushing 20 years old. I’d like to try some older stuff sometime. I have a pretty good inventory of it, although my oldest is back to 2007. A bunch of Chidaine hit Winebid about 8 months ago, including some mags so I reloaded some 2008s, including a mag of Breuil, which felt like stealing to me. How that sat up there without bids really made me scratch my head, and at a tiny price to boot.

That’s a good call on the backfills.

Kane will chime in any second that he doesn’t like how Chidaine ages, but I have had very good luck with Clos Habert in particular. I’m partial to demisec/sec tendre for aging. I started with the 1996 release but that 2000 is the oldest I have left. Then my stash jumps to 2005.