For Berserker eyes first- new WineBid feature coming soon

Ridiculous

Hey Russ, gotta tell ya that Iā€™m not a fan of this either. The one thing I can count on is that when time runs out I know the wine that I bid on is mine.

2 Likes

If you make use of the ā€œAdd to Watchlistā€ feature you can easily keep track of everything you are interested in.

1. Add auction lots to your Watchlist (or bid on the lot)
  2. Click on ā€œMy Accountā€
  3. Click on ā€œAuctions - Buyingā€ in the ā€œAuctionsā€ section of ā€œMy Accountā€
  4. Voila! You can then view the list of lots you are bidding on. You can also view the list of the lots on your Watchlist.

Super easy, and Iā€™m pretty sure this is exactly what youā€™re looking for.

1 Like

This feature is definitely needed if the site is overloaded and timely bids are being rejected. That final minute is when competitive lots reach their market price. If bids arenā€™t being taken, itā€™s not an auction.

1 Like

+1. This functionality prevents sniping and maximizes hammer price. Adding 10 minutes just adds 10 minutes, and does not materially change anything.

1 Like

Adding 10 minutes will just shift that ā€œfinal minuteā€ to 10 minutes later, where the same problem will still exist (assuming it was happening in the first place).

1 Like

I agree they are headed the wrong direction with this but itā€™s also the case that as the price goes up, the number of bidders will decrease and the traffic problem resolves itself. CalAuctions has pretty much the same approach; any bid during the last minute of the auction extends the auction by another minute. Spectrum will accept bids after the bell if their site becomes overloaded.

Itā€™s seems pretty clear to me that WB doesnā€™t have it together in multiple respects. Oh, well. There are plenty of other sites to list and shop on.

1 Like

This just inā€¦the Indianapolis 500 is now the Indianapolis 500.5.

1 Like

thereā€™s only one person on this thread that theoretically knows how this will work. that person posted some of what he knows, but wants you to reserve judgment on the rest of it becauseā€¦reasons. the internet is weird.

2 Likes

Agreed that a ā€œgoing live featureā€ at auction ending is likely to actually improve the experience AND maximize hammer prices on certain lots. Probably a bigger IT lift, though.

The real ā€œgoalā€ here seems to be minimizing lots selling below market price. Thatā€™s clearly in the best interest of not only WB but also their sellers, but it kinda craps on the reason lots of folks like online auctions ā€” the ability to throw a minimum reserve bid out there and maybe get lucky. If the pool of buyers decreases, does that shift the demand curve enough to balance out the potential bump on the most competitive lots? Guess weā€™ll find out based on whether or not the new feature sticks.

Luckily, there are a hatful of other places to buy wine. WineBidā€™s final cost was close to the same amount of dosh on WineSearcher already, and now thereā€™s a chance to jack it up even more. No thank you.

Wowā€“this sounds great. For WineBid, that is.

An auction companyā€™s job, in part, is to maximize hammer price; I donā€™t hold it against WineBid that they would try to do that. It just seems to me the best way to do that would be adding 30 seconds, or a minute, to the bidding every time a bid comes-in in the last 30 seconds or minute. This is, essentially, how live auctions work (i.e.: "going once, going twice, Ahhh, we have a new bid! Now weā€™re at $__. Going once, going twice ā€¦ sold!).

As for the ā€œdecreased number of biddersā€ argument: Yes. The number of bidders will decrease by the number who only want to participate in auctions where sniping is allowed. I know many folks like sniping. I sometimes do it myself. Itā€™s exciting. But if thereā€™s a wine I want, thereā€™s a price Iā€™m willing to pay, and Iā€™ll bid up to that price regardless of whether the format does or does not allow for sniping.

Sniping only works when the bidding is between snipers.

Russ is getting beaten up pretty well, but he ā€œlikesā€ many of those postsā€¦

2 Likes

Not a fan. Echoing previous comments. And it is already late enough on a ā€˜school nightā€™ on the east coastā€¦

As someone with lots of bottles in the current auction, Iā€™m very curious to see how much bidding changes prices (and the number of contested lots) in the last hour and minutes of the auction. That will give me a better sense of how common sniping is.

If Winebid changes the rules of the auction in a way that reduces the number of bidders, prices for sellers could fall relative to other sources. Way too early to say.

My post. Thought I was logged inā€¦

Thatā€™s weird ā€¦ are posts by ā€œGuestā€ now allowed? That must be a bug.

I donā€™t really see how this is about sniping. Not at all. Itā€™s about having a time when a transaction will end. The sniping is just people coming in at the end. Sniping has nothing materially to do with how the auction is executed.

Whatā€™s at issue is that we know when an auction will end and we know itā€™s on us to get in there or not if we want action. Now there is some other mysterious possibly end time that may or may not show up. So we have a transaction that will occur at the listed time or it might occur at another time. Do we have any control over it? Do we have any say in it if we want to do business there? Does my bid mean anything or is it subject to an algorithm that will shrug at it?

First world problems for certain but it feels like yet one more annoyance in life we could do without. What percentage of the customer base is really clamoring for this?

Iā€™ll wait to see how itā€™s executed before casting judgement, but as a practical matter will peopleā€™s max bids on lots carry over into this overtime bidding, or will it only be for people participating during that period? For example, if a lotā€™s current winning bid $50 and I set a max bid at $70, will that $70 bid continue to hold for that extended period if participants post 7pm bid higher than $50?

1 Like