Food Refrigerator as Wine Storage

Excellent advice, Randy; the average life expectancy of restaurants is pretty short so
there’s a surplus of little-used equipment out there.

Oh come on, now, Alan. You know very well that the most common catalyst that you used in grad school chem labs was to shake the test tube vigorously. That’s always gets the reaction started. [wow.gif] [tease.gif]

That does raise an interesting issue: Do you need to make sure there’s ample room for air to circulate? My under-counter wine fridge has the cooling unit at top, which should help keep the temperatures fairly even. But most home refrigerators draw cool air from the freezer side and they can have a pretty big wide range of temps from top to bottom and back to front. That’s presumably more of an issue at 40F that it would be at, say 55F, where the cooling mechanism won’t be cycling so much. But I could imagine that if you filed a regular fridge to capacity that you might have very cold temps at the back and bottom and pretty warm ones at the front and top.

Another aspect of wine lore we (or many) accept without data.

I would worry (sans data) about storing champagne in a fridge , fearing the vibration could strip the wine of its fizz. Otherwise a regulator to keep the temp ~57 and a bowl of water to help with humidity and I think you’d be all set.

Without meaning to be critical, is there some evidence or experience you’ve had that leads you to have this worry? Because believing in something just because it’s an oft repeated conventional wisdom is kind of the same path the anti-vax’ers go down. One should have some direct experience to draw on, or a well known mechanism explainable by science, before latching on to a belief system. At least in this case, there’s zero harm in not storing your Champagne in a fridge long term, just as there’s zero harm in making wine by the phases of the moon.

FIFY and guilty as charged. I have zero evidence. I have unsupported surmise, just as my father and his father before him had.

So based on your graduate degree, I shouldn’t worry about vibrations if I relocate my washer and dryer next to my new cellar? Seriously.

I personally wouldn’t have any worries. And the vibrations in my 50 bottle wine cooler are almost certainly the same, or even more, than in my food refrigerator, that’s probably true for most wine coolers.

So you get my point [cheers.gif]

Indeed I do