Flannery wagyu rib cap going down tonight......but

my only issue with the thermometer is the puncturing of the meat before it’s done cooking.

That’s why you hopefully get good enough that you only need to do it once… I’d be afraid that if I used the “grafstrom floppy steak” method I would probably accidentally drop it, throw it, have the neighbors dog jump the fence and attack me for it… etc etc…

LOL. fair enough. [truce.gif]

I don’t use a thermometer for anything other than the rib cap and the big ass porterhouses. Skirts, flanks, strips, rib-eyes, hangers, lamb, etc., I can do pretty well by touch testing and knowing my rig and time vs. mass.

Man alive, you guys are getting me fired up to grill some more steak this weekend! Thanks for all the tips!

Coal preferred to gas for me. I have both and find that while the gas is quick and easy, the flareup, and subsequent grease fire as the trap ignites are just not worth the PITA that it is.

With coal I can take a 22" weber kettle and divide it in half. Half rocket hot, half no coals. With a leather glove, 14" tongs and 100% attention to detail I can fight the flareups and get a good crust by movement between the hot zone and the cold zone.

Practice makes perfect. Never use meat right out of your ice box and have all of your mise en place.

This is a good way to do it. If I cook a ribeye this way I will char it and then throw it into a 250 degree oven. The lower temperature will give you a more consistent color all the way through and gelatinize the fat better.