Flannery Boneless Ribeye CA Reserve 30% off

Mine arrived today, and the 20oz ribeyes look stunningly good. One question on the mismatched ribeyes: do they usually have much of the cap? Both that I got have almost no cap, but are otherwise beautiful. The missing cap may be why they are mismatched, but since that is my favorite part of the entire cow and my first order, I want to see if this is how they normally arrive. I’m not complaining, just looking for guidance for future orders. And it might be possible to include a request in the order comments for mismatched with caps if they are available.

Regardless, I’m looking forward to grilling one of the mismatched ribeyes tomorrow night, and even more excited about trying one of the 20oz CA Reserves soon.

might have less cap. If you want a heavy cap rib eye, get the Jorges Cut. That thing has a HUGE cap.

The theory, at least, is that there will be more juice lost when freezing because ice crystals created while it freezes pierce the walls of the cells that hold the fluid, releasing juice. By freezing before squeezing, my goal is to avoid additional trauma to minimize the juice loss.

Taking the theory to its logical conclusion, the ideal way to do it would be to freeze the steaks in liquid nitrogen, since the faster it freezes, the smaller the ice crystals and the lesser the damage to the frozen meat. But I don’t want to waste the few favors I’m owed by chefs I know on access to liquid nitrogen to get a minimal, and possibly imperceptible, improvement in frozen meat.

The freeze before squeezing approach seems to work, but I’ve never experimented with doing two steaks though, one sealed before freezing and one sealed after freezing and comparing them after they thaw. So please post the results of your experiments. I’m curious to see if you notice any difference.

Thanks!

Mike. 2 things. 1) I will absolutely try the experiment the next time I place a ‘Bryan’ order, looks like fun. 2) Bryan used to sell a product (maybe he still does) called the Rib Cap Roll. Looked like a tied roast, was made from the entirety of the rib cap, cut away from a ribeye loin, and then ‘rolled up’ and tied. So looks like a roast and eats like the cap of a ribeye.

Still does

Love that Rub Cap Roll. Gonna shoot in a bunch with my next order. Strip loin and lots of rib cap rolls, that’s how I’m gonna roll!!

I never found the rib cap on the website. I call him when I order it. My ribeyes arrive today!

@ Charlie - Is the 18 day hanger the normal hanger that is on the Midwestern slate or something else? I have long been a fan of the hangers… was very disappointed when he was out of them on Monday when I placed my ribeye order.

Saturday Night dinner for myself and a few friends
Mem Day Steaks.jpg

I, too, freeze them and agree with Peter. And its a good question. How does one stock up on a good deal or large order without freezing?

JD

I wondered that myself. In Dec 2012 Bryan did some dry age hangers that were terrific. I have inquired several times since but haven’t seen them again.

Different. The normal hangers aren’t dry aged. He periodically does some dry aged ones. He said in he next few weeks he’ll have some more.

Thanks - I somehow found the product page for it on his newsfeed. Good to know they will be there again. Will have to keep my eyes peeled. Will be doing a July 4 order sometime soon anyway.

Do post. flirtysmile

Apparently my wife falls into this camp as well. I let her know my steaks would be arriving today so she starts in with the nosey type questions. I asked her if I needed to get her permission to purchase groceries from now on. [snort.gif] These steaks better deliver. We’ll she if she changes her tune…

Show her these, Tim…

For those that weren’t there, here are pics of the Flannery meats from Bearserkerest Day 3 in Jordan W’s back yard (all donated by Bryan, BTW [welldone.gif])…

These steaks look fantastic, but man…they are so much more per pound than Costco prime! Are they really all that and a bag of potato chips? [scratch.gif]

My steaks just arrived, and I want to cook them all. champagne.gif

Are they really all that and a bag of potato chips? > [scratch.gif]

In a word - yes.