First wine to break the 100 point system!

There’s been a lot of talk over the years here, tastings, dinner and so on… the time has come for one wine to break the 100 point system with 110/100!

Couldn’t be happier for the achievement to come from a Barolo/Nebbiolo wine.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cj2b1dHIONK/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

1 Like

In Italy we say “la matematica non è un’opinione” but maybe it is after all!

2 Likes

Hasnt that one Italian reviewer had 110 points actively a part of his scores for years? Cant remember his name, but the guys gives 100s out like candy.

Luca Maroni? I’ve never seen one over 100, but I’ve seen loads of extremely suspect high 90s. I believe there is an Australian reviewer who awards similarly outrageous scores. One way to get your name out there I suppose.

1 Like

LMAO! To quote, “is among the top rated wines with 110/100.”

Ummm, with a score like that, how is it only “among” the top rated wines? How is it not the THE top rated wine?

1 Like

I thought it was him, but I just checked his website and it’s not on there. I did a search for 110 point wine score and couldn’t come up with anything. I’m wondering if whoever used it got ridiculed enough that they gave up on it.

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and…
Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it’s louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, it’s one louder, isn’t it? It’s not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You’re on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you’re on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi: I don’t know.
Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Marty DiBergi: Why don’t you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.

7 Likes

I’m 130 points on that.

If you make the day 25 hours … an hour is only 57 minutes 36 seconds …
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Next up: wine point rating on the Kelvin scale

1 Like

This thread is pure 25 karat gold.

1 Like

Figured it out, it’s not Luca Maroni, it’s Luca Gardini. 4 Brunellos and 2 BdM Riservas got that in 2016.

1 Like

Is Luca Gardini James Sucking’s Italian nom de plume?

Gardini is in a league of his own…

If I recall correctly he also had a serious fall out with a number of wine writers/judges after not paid out their agreed fees from an event he arranged. To the point that Tim Atkin (believe others as well) called it him out publicly on Twitter.

If I remember correctly, Luca Maroni used a 99 point system, arguing that a 100 point wine could not exist.

Ha! I saw this on Cogno’s IG yesterday and had a good laugh. Good thing I just ordered 660 points worth of it.

Christy Canterbury made an Instagram post, Atkin has a reply in it: Christy Canterbury MW on Instagram: "Ciao, @gardiniluca! We are wondering when you or your business partner will pay us for last summer’s work @biwawards. We have waited 10 months. . . We international judges (@timatkinmw @spanishwinelover @kenichi_ohashi @yang.lu_ms) will miss #BIWA this year & wish the best to all Italian wine producers recovering from the difficult start to 2020."

For shame.

2 Likes

He might be the worst wine reviewer in the world. I have tried a few 95 pointers from WTSO and they are low 80s on a good day. Makes Suckling look creditable.

2 Likes

Luca Maroni sleeps with the fishes

Huh that’s an odd take for a mam who hands out 97-99 points like candy to primitivos and ruches.