Finding Wine Friends

Almost 20 years ago, someone started a thread on something like the Offline Planner on the old Parker board looking for people to do an offline in DC at a restaurant (no longer around) called Lavandou. There were eventually two of these dinners. At the second dinner, I met my good friend (and Wine Berserker member) Randy McFarlane who before the end of the dinner invited me to come to his wine tasting group that also met at Lavandou. The rest has been history.

FYI, at the first of these dinners I met board member David Glasser who came all the way from Baltimore for the dinner.

So, I recommend going to Event Planner - Online or Offline - WineBerserkers and look for tastings in and around New Haven. If there are not any, start one. I bet you get hits. The only issue will be Covid, so maybe wait a couple of months.

Itā€™s hard to find opportunities, but if we can find something half way between New Haven and Enfield, I would be glad to do something post pandemic.

1 Like

And, as we prepare to move to Spain, this seems like a great idea!

this has actually worked out really well for me.

hint: even if someone seems really cool on WB, still meet them in a public place first. lol

Edited to add: so has Instagram, as Charlie has mentioned. I have found that TRUE wine people are really open to other wine people. sometimes ya just gotta find someone and reach out and see what happens.

Iā€™ve been in Fairfield County for several years and havenā€™t stumbled into the same tasting culture I had in St. Louis. I imagine I havenā€™t tried hard enough. Happy to connect with any locals.

Many local restaurants (when they reopen) have special wine dinners inviting a winemaker (here in CA) or distributor to come.

I started a wine group 10 years ago with 5 friends. One or two have dropped out to be replaced by other memberā€™s friends. We meet once a month for a blind tasting of a varietal we pick ahead of time and itā€™s usually more about getting together than analyzing the wines in detail. But we try to do a little of that, too.

All you need is a couple of friends who drink decent wine to start.

Awesome! Whereabouts in Spain?

Ha! Iā€™ve been playing D&D with two of my long time wine friends during the pandemic. I prefer the old AD&D to the version of the rules we use online, but itā€™s still fun.

I asked one of the fine wine stores if there were any wine groups, and was immediately invited to one. A long time ago, but a lot of good friends there. The only frustrating thing was I missed the 1982 Bordeaux tasting by a month.

Wine stores are a really good starting place.

We will be starting around Valencia. See how we like it. Barcelona has become too pricey, too many Brits down by Malaga, Madrid gets too hot and my wife doesnā€™t care for snow. So . . . if we like it plan to build.

I have the same experience, as Jim Dove and I were in a one or two of the same tasting groups in St. Louis. I have since moved to Litchfield county which is a bit more isolating than Fairfield county was.

Since today is my first day of retirement, I should be a bit more free to search out tastings and dinners in the hopefully not too distant future.

A hearty congratulations!!!

How many hundreds of 1982 tastings have you attended since then?