FINAL TALLY Week 2 - Virtual Tasting for Charity - Back to its roots: California Zinfandel for Jason Hagen 11/28 - 12/4

ditto neener
Great notes FM3. I’ll add a nice layer of wild blueberry, green herbs, and a hint of cinnamon stick. Alcohol is balanced.
Kyser, the Golden Retriever, is drooling because the bottle is not quite empty yet.

Carlisle Carlisle it is then. Frank, as for the donations I’m trying to get some clarity but the way i read it now it’s $17 per note or $27 with a pic of a Berserker. All for a good cause.

• 2011 Carlisle Zinfandel Carlisle Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (11/28/2018)
    Deep dark electric purple. Aromas of blackberry, boysenberry, blueberry and licorice jump from the glass. Juicy core of purple fruit, lovely texture and just enough grip to keep it in balance. This is fantastic!

Posted from CellarTracker

• 2016 Bear Flag Wine Zinfandel - USA, California, Sonoma County (11/28/2018)
    Servicable Zin, a bit nondescript. Zin fruit, a bit flabby, lacking complexity. Good enough burger wine but wouldn’t search it out. The Carlisle killed it. Unfair comparison I suppose. Was this made at The Ranch? The label suggests as much. Oh Linda…

“Clarity now!”

Current donation is $17 per note or $22 per note that includes a picture of you with the bottle!

Update: $20 and $25 with you pictured! Way to go guys and gals!

2014 Historic Vineyard Society Zinfandel Old Vine Pagani Vineyard

This bottle was created for a great cause to help save historic vineyards, I bought it at a Falltacular auction to help Laura’s House so it only seems fitting that it should be consumed to help someone in need. This bottle it would seem has done everything it was made for and then some! Anyways this has only been opened for a half hour at most and is dominated by red spicy fruit, there is a a bit of black and blue Zinberry on the mid palate and finish and has that dark Pagani fruit/depth lurking in the background that I love so much. If I had more I would wait a few years to consume it seems to have the structure and acid to go the distance. If any happens to show up at next years Falltacular auction I would be a bidder for sure (hint hint).

Count me in as a $3 per note backer for this week. [berserker.gif]

2012 Carlisle Zinfandel Hayne Vineyard -
PnP. Pours dark with very slight bricking at the edge. Nose is full of bright red fruit which is replaced on the palate with dark fruit including black cherry and black raspberry. Loren’s discription of velvety is spot on. It exudes elegance. Wish I had more.

2009 Carlisle Zinfandel Carlisle Vineyard (CVZ) – Some alcohol starting to peek through, but otherwise balanced. While CVZ generally ages longer than other vineyards (and has aged better than the Montafi and Papera in this vintage), I think it’s seen its peak and is in a gentle decline. Mike Officer has its drinking window ending this year, and I think he has nailed it. None of this prevented me from enjoying it last night after a rough day at work. Get better Jason.
2009 CVZ.jpg

Last night my wife and I, along with another couple, went to a wine tasting with Kathleen Inman. After some killer Pinots, we walked over to Butcher & The Burger (on Armitage in Lincoln Park, Chicago) - great burgers, and it’s BYOB. We brought a Bedrock Puccini.

2013 Bedrock, Puccini Vineyard, Sonoma Valley, Sonoma County, Zinfandel
Popped and poured into cheap glasses with no decant. Big Zin. Deep dark and brooding. Firm tannins and lots of mouthfeel. Somewhat puckering, teeth sucking. Dry Zin with olive, tar, tea. Somewhat woody. Spicy, white pepper. Tart, with tart strawberry and tart raspberry. I would let this sit another couple of years. Wish I could have decanted, and I wish I had also brought our own stems. Still very enjoyable wine, and went great with burgers & fries. Had a few admirers in the restaurant looking at the bottle.

IMG_3222.JPG
Me, front right. My wife Nancy, back left.

IMG_3227.JPG
IMG_3229.JPG

OMG I didn’t see this! I love you, Brian Tuite, and I know Jason will be ecstatic about this.

I will have a Zin queued up to spend Brian’s money, putting it toward Jason’s GoFundMe. Thanks, Brian. That’s why you are BOTY 2017, fo sho

Hold on. Brian set up a zinfandel/picture themed tasting for charity!?!? Oh buddy boy, you better keep your wallet handy!! :wink:

2015 Matthiasson Zinfandel, Limerick Lane Vineyard.

Wow, this is REALLY good! Bright/zippy purple brambly fruits with lifted semi-sour cherries and more than enough acidity. At 13.9% alcohol, this is very fresh and easy to drink, but plenty of delicious zinfandel flavor. A more restrained version of LL compared to Carlisle, Bedrock, and definitely the estate Limerick Lane offering, but just as delicious. Very well made and honestly one of the more exciting zins I’ve had in a while. I’ll be getting more for sure…and will be sure to post a note/picture here when I do :wink:

[media] 2015 Matthiasian Zin. Limerick Lane - Album on Imgur [/media]

2013 Scherrer Old And Mature Vines Zin - Lovely nose of blackberry compote, slate and black pepper. Still youthful on the palate with a lovely balance of exburant blackberry fruit and balancing minerality and acidity. A pinot lover’s zinfandel. Great wine year in and year out.

Love Fred’s wines

Bedrock Old Vine Zin 2016 - Forward flavors of raspberry jam, candy cinnamon, and sasparilla. Sappy finish. Some astringency to the tannins, though softens with time in the glass.
bedrock.jpg

Wait… does Jason get more $$ for our ugly mugs?

2016 Bedrock OVZ

More reticent nose than the 16 DCV last night. Fruity red fruit. Yum. I get like a cinnamon bear thing mid-palate. Perfumed. Juicy, grippy tannins. This is on the PnP. Friends heading over for some pasta in a bit. [cheers.gif]
IMG_0255 (1).JPG

Yin and Zin.jpg
2011 Scherrer Shale Terrace Zinfandel
PNP
A Yin Zin. Light mouthfeel. Soft and feminine; a silky Zin. Subdued flavors of raspberry and pepper. Very balanced and on the lighter side of Zinfandel. A pleasure to drink.

Rat, i wanted my TN to get max value, and since Jason is a Kings fan, i spiced up the photo. BTW, this is a spot on vintage for Carlisle Carlisle, picking up a real good spine of acidity from yesterday along with structure. 2016 is gonna age well. Great thread guys.
20181129_173733.jpg

Worst selfie ever! The warden is making turkey soup on a cold and rainy socal evening. Thankfully.

• 2011 Ridge Geyserville - USA, California, Sonoma County (11/29/2018)
    My relationship with Geyserville is conflicted. I want to love it. The bottle is cool, love the label, Draper is a stud, but I’ve had 10 vintages and I never fell in love. Just friends with benefits. Dark cherry color. Aroma is very attractive with black licorice and raspberries. The palate is built on an oak platform and that might be the problem. Cherry fruit flavor is good.

2013 Lagier Meredith Zinfandel Tribidrag - USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder (11/29/2018)
Dark garnet in color, not quite opaque; I get some nice, subtle crushed berries on the nose, with some hints of zinberry and dried savory herbs; palate has a lot going on, with medium body, pure, bright zinfandel fruit, a fascinating savory note that I’ve come to expect of the Zin from this vineyard, lively acidity, and some fine tannins holding it all together. For such a young vineyard this has great complexity and interest. I wish I could be around 50 years from now to drink old vine wines coming from the vineyard, I think it has the promise of being something truly special. (93 pts.)

I want to drink with Alan!

Damn. I haven’t logged in in a while. Glad I did tonight. I popped an excellent 07 Ridge Lytton last week but I have some more Ridge ATP selections at home to pull from plus a '93 Lytton Springs Winery Zin that just found it’s excuse to get popped.

I think Brig owes double for his half pic. [berserker.gif]

I only drink alone. In the dark.