V., when you know the wine, post it please.
Jennifer and I will bring a 2007 Alpine Hillside Pinot and 2009 Horseshoe Pinot
BB, nice. Thank you for committing, and it will be terrific to see you and Jennifer again–it’s come down to 1X a year so this will make 2X for 2017, which will be my pleasure.
Anyone else on the fence? Please post.
I’m on the fence. I maybe in CT that weekend. I’ll know more next week or 2.
If I can make it, Fe and I would love to join
Cheers
RdR
RdR, when are you NOT home? You might as well buy a second home in CT. god, I hope you can make it, as it’s been ages since I have seen you (and I don’t count our recent lucky encounter at IAH and our lunch there as seeing you
).
I am out as I am traveling to The Northeast for work. Heading out on Saturday in hopes of scoring a reasonable ticket for the Ravens vs. Patriots game the next day.
I can bring the 2007 Horseshoe Vineyard.
Jason
the retailer where I sourced my reds couldn’t find the 2005 Chileno Valley pinot, so that’s out. Sorry. Still have the 2010 Alpine as well as the Chard
2011 Bearwallow here
circling back to this … Ashley and I are looking to get a few ducks in a row so we can attend … will report back soon.
Glenn B, thanks. I added your wine to the other thread in Wine Talk.
Brian, glad you both are trying to attend. Be great to see you both.
To open an idea on food, we could go two directions. Option 1–have some Persian food brought in, which we have done many times in the past. Affordable and easy. Or, we do what we do for the Falltacular After Party and go with Mexican from around the corner. Either option would be around $15 a person or less. Option 2–everyone brings something ala Falltacular Main Event, and we just share.
My hunch is we should land with Mexican and I am happy to pick that up for us and have it ready.
Please share your thoughts on food if you have a preference.
Mexican sounds great to me, but we’re not too picky.
well… bad news. Over the past two days, I have come down with a terrible cold — pretty much the whole enchilada as far as colds go, and they tend to stick around for a solid 3+ weeks for me. Sooooo, Ashley and I are out. If I happen to have a quick recovery, we will participate in the virtual aspect of this event. Hopefully next time …
hey me too! Wonder if we got it from the WCAB? ![]()
I’m good either way on food…I have no preference. I was planning on smoking a brisket like I do for falltacular.
Could be. There’s been sick people everywhere at the boards the past couple days. And, just generally around town, too.
I will be bringing the 2011 Home Vineyard PN. It will be fun to do a 2011 horizontal with the Bearwallow and Family Farm that the others are bringing.
For food my pick is whatever is easiest for you as the host. Can you please PM me your address?
Looking forward to the event!
I’m still a possibility, but not a certainty…I’ll hopefully get it together in the next few days. If I make it, I’ve got a 2007 Horseshoe Syrah, a 2008 Family Farm Pinot and 2012 Alpine Pinot at home in the fridge. If those don’t fit, I’ll gladly motivate and dig into my offsite locker for something else.
Also, I was going to email Frank directly, but why not ask publicly: what’s the general plan? Will we organize flights or just throw the bottles on a table ala carte?
![]()
So sorry. Turns out I am need to fly out on Saturday morning. Sad to miss this and catch up with some old friends.
Still happy to supply the bottle if someone can swing by Yorba Linda to grab it.
Peace,
Jason
Everyone, we’re a week out so let me summarize some final details. I want this to be fun, informal and relaxing, yet a space for us to explore Rhys from our cellars. As such, here are the details you be needing for next Saturday.
Date and Time: Saturday, 9/30 @ 2PM
Guests:
Bryan C–2 2007 Alpine PN + 2011 Family Farm PN
Sean H–2 2009 Shoe Chard + 2008 Skyline Syrah
Counselor–1 2009 Family Farm PN + 2010 Family Farm PN
Viet L–1 2011 Home PN
Fred O–1 2010 Alpine PN + 2010 Alpine Chard
Brian B–2 2007 Alpine H’side PN + 2009 Shoe PN
Paul/Ashley + Paul’s Bro + Wife–4 2009 Swan Terrace PN + 2010 Home PN + 2010 Bear PN
FM3–2 2008 Shoe PN + 2013 Shoe PN
Robin S–1 2012 Home PN
Dana S–1 2012 Family Farm PN
Andrew C-1 2007 'Shoe Syrah and/or 2008 Family Farm PN
Wines:
Here is a running list of the above wines to easier see what’s committed. And, I ask that you open your wine prior to coming over, to include some thought about how much to decant. There is plenty of decant advice in Cellartracker concerning the wines below. If we want these wines to show for what they are and how they are evolving, then we need to bless them with aeration.
2007 Alpine PN
2007 Alpine H’side PN
2007 'Shoe Syrah
2008 Family Farm
2008 Skyline Syrah
2008 Shoe PN
2009 Shoe PN
2009 Family Farm PN
2009 Shoe Chard
2009 Swan Terrace PN
2010 Home PN
2010 Bear PN
2010 Alpine PN
2010 Alpine Chard
2010 Family Farm PN
2011 Home PN
2011 Family Farm PN
2012 Family Farm PN
2012 Home PN
2014 Horseshoe Own Rooted PN
2015 Bear Chard
2015 Bear PN
2015 Alpine PN
**–and Bubbly. I am a sucker for grower champagne so I will have some from my cellar to start the event. If you got some grower bubbles you want to bring, do it.
Food:
We’ll do this Falltacular style. This means you bring a side dish AND something you can cook on the grill which you want to share with the group. Either item can be of your choosing, no rules.
Stems:
Bring your own if you like, or use mine. I got loads of them.
Tasting Notes:
I do encourage all of you attending to push yourself, meaning capture and post TNs after the event. Part of what we are accomplishing here is sharing perspectives for the community in support of the Rhys body of work. I’ll launch a thread with my TNs after the event, I encourage you to post, in whatever way makes sense for you.
That’s it. Still space for those who want to attend. Use the wine list above to make your wine commitments back to me.