FedEx Just Delivered Wine and .....

FWIW, I absolutely agree that this was not what I wanted nor how it was supposed to work. I assume anything not in my house has the virus and try to act accordingly.

John, understand. Being ‘safe at home’ as we have for the past 6 days or so, I’ve never really paused this hard to think about exchanging with the world but life seems a lot more under review right now. Stay safe.

Shipment from Vincent is on the FedEx truck today so I’m curious to see how they’ll handle that.

FedEx required signature. Regular driver

Yeah, all of us Frank. We all gotta do our part. It was Vincent wine here as well. My first try with those. Probably overkill but I let any package sit for a day or so just in case before I handle it more.

Tomorrow looks to be our once a week trip to the grocery. Those trips are kindof depressing to see how people hoard for themselves with little thought for anyone else. We have the basics but our son at college had and could find zero TP so we mailed some. We have not seen any fresh beef or chicken in the last two trips locally. I planned to make some fried chicken but that’ll have to wait. Substitution is fine and my wife is a great cook so we are generally well stocked, well provisioned, and quite used to cooking in.

There is a good article in today’s WSJ about the drivers.
They tend to be underpaid with no bennies. And yet they are expected to do their job in this crisis, subjecting themselves to becoming ill with no health insurance.
Absurd.

Guess we’ll all need very long pens in the future.

FedEx just delivered a wine shipment to my house about an hour ago. They left the packages in front of my door and waited in the driveway. I went out to get it and he gave me a thumbs up and I waved back and that was that. No signature required from me. Not sure what would have happened though if I didn’t come out to open my door.

This is a tough situation. I know many who have never had to sign for alcohol because ‘they know their drivers’. Totally illegal.

Bottom line - with the current situation, they should be confirming someone ‘of age’ is there but it is not necessary to sign for things. But they should not just be dropping it off without making sure someone is there who should sign for it.

For those of you who never sign for it - what is your recourse should a package gets taken without you knowing?

Cheers

My Fedex driver just needed to visually verify that an adult was in the house. Easy peasy.

FedEx made me sign today. He seemed frustrated that he had to wait for me to put a glove on. But I’d be frustrated if I had to be out delivering wine to people. I just wish all wineries would just hold it but I understand that may not be a viable alternative either.

just had a box placed on the stoop, and the driver didn’t knock or wait for me to come to fetch it.

What negatives?

UPS last week rang doorbell, confirmed I was the recipient and left package on steps (he could see me through door). Really that should be enough even without COVID for alcohol - the signature requirement is an unnecessary obligation foisted on UPS/FedEx by distributors who want protection from competition and the mothers temperance union (aka MADD).

Here too.

It’s a difficult situation. There are laws about delivering to people of age. So drivers not wanting to get dinged is completely understandable. Plus, I get annoyed if I don’t at least get a knock on the door when someone drops a package. Porch thiefs are real.

It’s wine after all. We joke about “essentials” but it isn’t. But then wineries are probably not going to want to sit warehouse their product for you.

Adapt. Make the best of the situation. The drivers are at risk just like you are.

On a related note, those getting Door Dash deliveries, I couldn’t fathom having some random person make my food, another person packaging it, another person driving and delivering to me, then eating said food. SKETCHY!!! IMO, this is a contributor to so many people in high density areas like NYC are getting the virus in such an alarming rate…!

This

I’ve done a fair amount of research into this and the risk here is very low. The food isn’t a problem (esp if you reheat it); the risk, to the extent one exists, is in the packaging. I take the food out of the delivery containers (wearing disposable gloves), throw the packaging and gloves away (with care), wipe potentially contaminated surfaces down, reheat the food. Easy peasy.

Really just adding 1 person to the chain, the driver. There’s always going to be someone different packing the food and another cooking

Just seems totally sketchy. Person making your food may be healthy but can unknowingly pass on the virus as it sits on nice warm food (perfect environment). The risk reward for me isn’t worth it, but for those who can’t buy groceries and make a meal, this may be your only option. Keep clean!!!