FedEx Craziness

The fun thing here is watching UPS deliveries ping pong across Toronto. Parcels arrive at Pearson (NW Toronto - we live fairly central, about 8km east of downtown) and then go through three locations, one of which is in Scarborough, way east of us, and then they head west again to “Toronto” and finally “out for delivery”. The airport is about 25 mins from our house with good traffic, UPS usually takes two days.

Normally great experiences with FedEx but wine was suppose to arrive on thursday and then today and now hopefully won’t sit in a hot warehouse over 70 degree plus weather in St. Paul this weekend. If inside not worried but in a truck outside that is not good.

Just received a Fed Ex ground shipment of six bottles supposedly picked up on Monday to be delivered on Tuesday as I am 30 miles from the sender, it took until Thursday.

Spoke with another shipper and got an earful. FedEx is experiencing a deluge of problems at this time from her perspective as well.

I just received a message that I missed a delivery today…at my office. And it was shipped on Friday, which makes no sense at all. And it is not scheduled to be redelivered until Tuesday.

My UPS shipment from California to Washington State is held up at the Suez Canal.

1 Like

Had FedEx lose my first wine shipment this year. Made it to a local distribution center but then a ghost.

Fedex has lost a very expensive (for me at least) bottle of wine coming from NY->CA. After initiating a trace, they called me and pretty much were like, we have no idea where it is.

What do they do in that case? Was it insured?

I called the seller and they will refer it to their shipping department manager. The rep did say that if it does end up being lost, they will file a claim against Fedex, and it sounds like I’ll get a refund. When I bought the bottle, it said free shipping, and there was no mention of insurance, but I assume the seller has something in place with Fedex.

And update… still sitting in Indy for a solid week now. I now am not sure I feel comfortable with the wine. I have a call into the winery to see what their thoughts are.

FedEx destroyed a shipment of wine I picked up a few days ago. Box looked smushed. Inside box was wet, purple, bad sign. One of several bottles obliterated, and these were big thick bottles…hard to break. Other bottles fine but I’m sure shaken up. All labels affected. The winery was very nice and is sending me another shipment and I’ll send back the non-broken bottles.

Another data point – a tale of four bottles of LdH Tondonia Blanco 2009: Purchased a few weeks ago from Wineworks, NJ. The box made it swiftly enough across country to a local warehouse in the SF Bay Area. Then over the next week we were repeatedly given delivery dates (and even hour ranges – “between 10:15 AM and 1:50 PM”) – only to informed by FedEx’s AI, via text and email: “Delivery exception” – failure because nobody was home to take delivery.

We were home the entire time. My home office for the last 12 months looks out at out front door, and I’ve see score if not hundreds of delivery folks during that time. After a week of similar messages from FedEx, and ultimately being told by FedEx that the box would be returned to NJ because after numerous attempts we had failed to be home for delivery (!), I called FedEx twice and spoke to real persons who simply read to me the same false “history” screen info that I could see on the FedEx site.

Finally, I called the seller, Wineworks. Another week and numerous emails later the box arrived (fortunately, given coolish weather, there was no apparent seepage or damage). The Wineworks folks told me this and similar is happening with FedEx in the past three months. Other SF Bay are retailers have other confirmed this, and added, it’s similar with UPS – as some have said above, apparently both are overwhelmed and relying on untrained folks.

Wineworks asked FedEx to refund my costs. FedEx refused. Then Wineworks, totally on its own initiative, refunded me. What a classy operation – and what a contrast with FexEx. (And PS: Last I looked, they seemed to have acquired a few more bottles of this, still at a decent price – better than what I normally find locally, even factoring in monetary shipping costs.)

All things considered: This is a First World problem, indeed. But good for Wineworks, at least.

1 Like

I’ve had my fair share of UPS/FedEx Crazyness in 2020 and every single time it has been the winery that either made it right or was proactive and contacted the shipper.

FedEx/UPS/GSO were all completely useless.

I truly wish there were alternatives considering Both FedEx/UPS made Net Profits of over $1B in 2020.

I’ve mostly had good luck with UPS and mostly though less with FedEx, esp at my new location which is outside the city. Still, I was fascinated by how simply things went when I ordered some cosmetics from Selfridges in the UK. Some friends in the business had suggested ordering from there - the price is lower and for $55 a year, all shipping and handling costs are covered. No customs charges. And they get a lot of new releases weeks sooner than the US stores (and often get releases that never actually get released to the US). So … I decided to try a first order. Ordered an eyeshadow the evening on Wednesday 3/31, price $7 less than sold here, shipped DHL and delivered at 11:20 AM Central on Friday. And DHL emailed accurate tracking info and offered a variety of services (approve no signature, change address, change delivery day, etc) at no extra charge. So it can be done!

FedEx just sent me a text to pick up the package I picked up last Thursday.
Tracking that number again shows I picked it up already.

I have 8 cs of Carlisle scheduled for tomorrow. Pray for me!!
Tom

I beg folks not to send me anything via FEDEX. They will tell you the same package is being delivered tomorrow 3-4 days in a row… and then claim they attempted delivery and no-one was there when you were not only present… but in the parking lot to see no-one came there.

I am at this point as well, just say ‘No’ to FedEx. As others have noted, their tracking s/w is pretty much useless. But my main beef with them is in the last mile. On multiple occasions in the past year, they have delivered my packages to the wrong address - and I am talking different street name/number - not even close (I also occasionally receive FedEx packages for others as well). I have been fortunate on several occasions where the recipient either dropped off the package or found my contact info and called me. It happened again yesterday, received text that package was delivered to my front door and checked 5 minutes later - nothing. We don’t have an issue with porch pirates and I don’t have this issue w/ any other delivery company.

I won’t claim UPS is perfect but based on my experience over the past year, they are better than FedEx in every dimension.

That’s a lot of octane. Let us know how it goes.

1 Like

EVERY shipping company has had issues over the past 6 months - just overwhelmed and really straining their systems. Also, their ‘automated’ systems are just not working as they should - and all have add challenges hiring people.

Since the big freeze that affected many parts of the US a number of weeks back, the shipping company I work with has suggested NOT shipping expedited with Fed Ex - they are simply not keeping things rolling with those types of shipments. I’ve had pretty good luck with Fed Ex ground during the same period though.

Cheers