Fear of 2011 Napa Cabernet

2011 Matthiasson Cabernet is delicious. Just delicious. Regardless of whatever box you might try to put it in.

That’s a wine I’d love to try.

Bob, love that avatar!!!

2011 was such a hard year for growers that it freaked everyone out. But there are a few good wines out there. As Sarah said, the mountains did well. Also, Calistoga and parts of St Helena, where it was much warmer, did okay.

Still, the weakest overall vintage I have experienced since I got here in 2005.

So would you classify these as ‘early drinkers’, even the best of them out there? Just curious . . .

Cheers!

Both the Seavey estate cab and Dunn HM were showing well last week during visits to the producers.

If you’re looking for more balanced, elegant wines, 2011 is your friend. Jill Matthiasson told me that she and Steve welcomed and loved 2011. Great 2011s were produced, no doubt about it.

If you prefer big, heavy, concentrated wines…you may not find that easily in a 2011.

Personally I love the 2011s and can’t wait to see them in clearance bins. 2011 will turn out like 1998 I’m sure (and maybe like 1992 but that’s a bit before my time so it’s hard to say). Not much praise up front but I’d guess many 2011s will age well.

We just had our first bottle of the 2011 Rivers Marie Cab. We thought it was delicious – much better than both the 2008 and 2009 bottles we’ve had recently, both of which came across a bit flabby. I’m glad a have a few more

2011 Myriad Dr. Crane was fantastic

Yeah Bob - back me up here and tell him how good that is! [cheers.gif]

Good to excellent regardless of the year. Atlas Peak, Howell Mountain, Mt Veeder, etc… all the usual overpowering mountain fruit vineyards/areas/producers were much more restrained which is a good thing IMO.

They seem to have as good or close to as good a backbone as 2010 and 2012. I’m drinking a 2012 Atlas Peak tonight from Hill Family Estate. I like it, but wish I had more 2011. The '12 is kicking with the normal AP mtn fruit power.

Outpost True Vineyard is certainly drinkable now with a relatively short decant (an hour or two) but I plan on holding the few bottles I have. Lokoya definitely needs a handful of years of rack time although a longer decant makes it fine.

+1

That’s what 2010 and 2012 are for.

From your keyboard to the Wine Gods’ ears. [basic-smile.gif]

Glen - thank you SO much for your very kind words - we’ve opened a fair amount of this one recently and love the direction it is heading. It really is a shame that the critics painted such a broad brush and “X’d out” the entire 2011 vintage rolleyes as there are some real gems to be found. Cheers and thanks again!

Karen [cheers.gif]

Have you had the 2008 Dunn HM? If so, how would you compare it to the 2011? I thought it was similar.

Sounded like you were referencing the True Vineyard cab and Bob was referencing the Howell Mtn cab - two different wines. I only own the latter, hence my question.

If anyone is around on Monday , I will open a couple of my 2011s here at the ranch. Form your own conclusions!

I have not Dennis. In the cellar but none opened yet.

Not Napa, but a 2011 Calluna CVC tonight was georgeous until TCA overwhelmed the delightfully pure fruit.

Everything I’ve read said the mountains and specifically Howell were the best AVA’s. I need to search out a few more HM wines to prove this out but the top wine for me so far that supports this perspective was the 2011 Robert Craig HM wine. We had it a few months ago and it was excellent. It bested a 2007 from another producer(purchased from winebid so may not have been in top form). I’ve also had the Spring Mtn and Affinity( the 11 is good but the 12 is better for the Affinity). I believe they may have some 11’s at attractive pricing.

I’ll second the mention for EMH’s 2011. It is really very good right now. My cellar note said best young black cat ever ! I really like Merrill’s wines and they reward cellaring but these will be consumed while the 09’s and 10 sleep. I also liked the 11 Drinkward but it’s a step down from their 10 which is a stunning wine. In general I think some good wines were made by top producers and it will be a fun vintage to drink

Andrew,
The Howell Mtn is drinking quite well. I found the fruit to be nice and balanced, yet has the backbone of what an Outpost wine is. You won’t be disappointed.
I also agree on the Three Twins

I’ll second that La Jota did a good job with 2011, and I don’t think it needs to be said in the context of the vintage.

Also, Cade Howell Mountain is really nice in any context. I think this one will age well too.

Thanks, Bob. Good to hear. I’ll queue one up when I get home.

WRT the Hobel, it’s a great wine regardless of vintage. Not sure how it will age as mine are all gone. I look for immediate approachability, with a prime drinking window NLT 5 years from vintage. The earlier, the better for me as space is limited.