Favourite Villages in the Nuits?

Others can comment, but I only know one of these producers - Confuron Gindre, from whom I have had only one wine. If you received specific recommendations on the other producers (for example, that they are good value under the radar producers), great. But, if you just bought these wines to get cheap prices on good appellations without knowing the producers, I hope you get lucky. QPR starts with the letter Q, not the letter P.

The wines of Seguin are served in some of France’s top restaurants, such as Georges Blanc. About the others, I don’t know. I look at labels and prices, and yes, recommendations too. But how am I supposed to know about quality everywhere I look when I’m new to Burgundy?
I’m not going to start by buying only Iconic wines, where prices have sky-rocketed, for hundreds of dollars. I need to start somewhere.

I’m with Howard, here. I had never heard of any of those producers either. I constantly tell my friends that even shitty Burgundy is expensive, so I’d rather pay 15-30% more to get something from an excellent producer because the baseline is set as such that I am not willing nor can I afford to be disappointed for slightly less money when the entry fee is high enough.

For the record, I am probably in the bottom 5-10% of income-earners on this board, am constantly looking for the best money plays, and love Burgundy - and I would still, and do, much rather drink one great wine than three shoulder-shrug ones. For the price of your four wines that may or may not be great, you could likely have gotten two excellent ones. While the top of the pyramid are prohibitively expensive and Burgundy will never be cheap, you do not have to pay $200 for a village wine to drink well. Also, “cheap” Burgundy is usually cheap for a reason.

Also, I, too started with a buckshot-spray approach to Burgundy where I bought tons of bottles from whoever, so I know what it feels like to just try to learn that way. I can tell you first-hand it was not nearly as successful as my current approach.

You could have bought at least bottle of Mugneret Gibourg VR for the price you paid for those bottles since you’re in Europe, maybe 2.

How much is one bottle?

I would certainly pay 15-30% more If I knew that the producer was excellent. The thing is I more or less know no producers whatsoever since I’m new
to Burgundy. I don’t know what producer styles, vintages or terroirs/areas I prefer.

Which is why I wanted to hear if people had any favourites and recommendations.

Even though you might have not heard of some of these producers, I look forward to trying every single bottle. It might be bad, it might be good, it might be excellent, who knows.

It’s part of the journey. With time, I’m sure I will learn more about some good producers (with reasonable prices I hope).

Some other European guy said 72€

Hmmm…Michael. Nice to hear your comments.

*****Even though you might have not heard of some of these producers, I look forward to trying every single bottle. It might be bad, it might be good, it might be excellent, who knows. *****

Same for me - here. I have not heard any of the producers. Please try each of them with just perhaps one single bottle first. THEN…needless to say, if you like the it and believe it is excellent ( or very good according to your preference ), then buy more bottle of each of them.

I suggest sincerely…taste it first…on the first evening and leave half of a bottle for the next day as they are all form young age.

That being said, my guess…is most likely…you will find out : who took the Gervery of Chambolle from your bottle of wine in front of you !! [soap.gif]

That is pricey, but not impossible to buy (for me). Thanks.
When I looked online I instantly came across several US retailers, which is usually not the case. Perhaps some wines from Europe do not always reach
the US/North-American market, or to a lesser extent.

I would say we get a very small percentage of the wines available to the European domestic market.

Michael…here is how Jasper Morris described the Chambolle in your bottle of wine by (a) Seguin C-Musigny 2019 and (b) Bryczek C-Musigny 2018 :

((((( ,they are graceful and charming too. They are not the deepest-colored of burgundy, nor the most structured, but they deliver a sensuous fruit and a laciness texture of entirely satisfying. ))))

If your above-mentioned wines by Seguin and/o by Bryczek…do not carry the Chambolle - may I suggest that you should try to buy a Chambolle-Musigny produced by : Roumier and/or by Mugnier from vintage 2018 or 2019.

I was curious - so I did some checking in wine-searcher.

Here are the prices in CA $ for 2018 C-Musigny per bottle: (a) Roumier $ 343; (b) Mugnier $282; (c) Remi Seguin $84 andc (d) Chris Bryczek $43.

Here is another big problem ( next to price=too expensive for what they are ) for enjoyments of drinking Burgundy wines : the availability. [soap.gif]

I would really suggest looking around for a smaller local shop. You already buy wine, and in most cities there are people who both love and sell Burgundy. It will be worth it to seek them out.

In Oregon, Bryan Shuttleworth of Cellar Door is excellent, his depth of knowledge for small Burgundy producers is exceptional. Also good: the guys at Liner & Elsen, Murray at Great Wine Buys, Eric P. at Sec, and the crew at Vinopolis. In Seattle Dan McCarthy at McCarthy and Sheiring is great.

Thank you. Are you suggesting that I should blind them?

Thank you for the notes :slight_smile:

Roumier and Mugnier, okay! Thank you. These are very expensive, though (at least for me).

Macheal…no - no need to blind them at all.

I am joking ( and guessing) … that the all the 4 bottles of wine which intended to drink…will taste like favor water and that there is no wine in that bottle of wine.

BECAUSE…I have not heard any of the producers.

Thank you Marcus. I’m based in Europe. At the moment, during the pandemic, I’ve mainly started to buy more online from different shops around Europe.
This has made me to make some interesting discoveries, though.

It sounds like there is a good number of quality wine shops in Oregon and Washington?

On another note, it is painfully difficult to get your hands on US wines here in Europe. I would describe it as “a small glimpse”, sometimes, of what
you have access to.

*Roumier and Mugnier, okay! Thank you. These are very expensive, though (at least for me).

They are not just expensive for you - they are expensive for every burgundy-lovers.

Do you know why they are so expensive…because …roumier and mugnier sounds like the Church bells ringing in Chambolle and every morning at exactly 8 a.m and all the burgundy-lovers starting praying ( or paying ) for them. .

Lol, I doubt it.

Michael…please report back and post your experience with them. I wish I could be proved wrong…so that I will shop for them as their prices look very reasonable for Chambolle village wine as most of them are slightly over CA $ 1000 here in Quebec, Canada.

BTW…my favorite village in nuits is Gervey as we could look around and find them easily available.

My favorite village wine in Gervey is : Clos Tamisot by Pierre Damoy. I could also say that it is also my favorite village wine - by far - in the whole Kingdom of Burgundy. [cheers.gif]