Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

Figeac for $80 is a great price

Yea, solid price. I also considered, I was buying 2015 Gonon for under $50, Benetiere for under $75 and Levet for like $65. And that’s in addition to a slew of other really strong Northern Rhônes. I was more than satisfied. I also bought Clape’s Vin de Amis in 2015, which is damn good.

20% off Total Wine coupon baby!

The list of Napa Cabs that went stratospheric is long & distinguished.

Scarecrow. Purchased two vintages and I’m done. No need for $400 bottles in my life, even if I can flip. And please…do not PM me asking for my allocation!

Shafer Hillside Select at $250 became too rich for me.

VHR after it passed $150.

d’Angerville Ducs when it went over $80
Roumier chambolle when it went over $72
Roumier Cras when it went over $95
Roumier Bonnes Mares when it went over $110
Bachelet Charmes when it went over $120
Mugneret-Gibourg Ruchottes when it went over $115
Mugneret-Gibourg Feusellottes when it went over $85

Liger-Belair. I used to buy the Clos du Chateau for under $60 US. The Reignots is now outside my comfort zone.
Mugneret-Gibourg.
Roumier.
Mugnier.

I will occasionally slip up and purchase specific bottles. This is my list for every year buys.

Burgundy.

As someone that has only been buying wine for only 5 years, a lot of these numbers are eye opening…It’s hard for me to imagine that a lot of these wines were once fairly accessible. It’s so interesting for me to hear these former prices. I think it’s very enriching and healthy for my wine buying perspective, and should be for anyone that hasn’t witnessed the incredible price growth on these wines. If you have always known them to be so expensive, you are more likely to think that they are worth the money, and to chase them until you have tasted and spent enough to realize otherwise. Not saying they aren’t great wines and should be cheap, but everyone has to draw the line somewhere.

Yeah Gonon damn! Guess I will drink one tonight that I paid $39 for in the not so distant past [swearing.gif]

Yup.

Several other folks have mentioned Mugneret-Gibourg. The only reason I still buy is that I got started later than people like Maureen and Don. I rarely buy any grand cru, but still buy as much as I can below that level. That will be the last one I drop.

back in the day the wines were available and inexpensive. 90 DRC sat on shelves as did 96 Raveneau, for example. You could take a bottle home, drink it a week or two later, go back to the store a week after that and buy as much as you wanted. Grand cru Raveneau 96 was about $60, 90 La Tâche $233 and other 90 DRC less than that—Echezeaux about $70.

Well, I still buy a little MG but i stick to the Chaignots, which I think is a better “value” than the chambolle (and which I actually prefer) and the vosne if I can find it under $85.

Remember 20yrs ago when 2015 LaTache was only $5000…now its $100,000! Free drone shipping though. [highfive.gif]

I think this is the thread you are looking for:

Ah, excellent! Thanks for the link, Josh. I’ll have to dive into that thread when I get a moment.

Sounds like a lovely time…

I bought '99 La Tache in about 2001-2 for about $327. It was part of a whole parcel of DRC I bought - with the '99 La Tache the only one I couldn’t bring myself to drink as it had gone over $4,000. HDH auctioned it for me a year ago at about $5,000.

These numbers sound good - except in 1967-8 my father received a $30 birthday present from his mother, and promptly went out & bought 1 DRC Romanee Conti, 1 La Tache & 1 Grands Echezeaux all 1962 with the $30. Thankfully, he did believe in allowing the kids to have a bit of wine with dinner, so I did get to have them - even though I was probably only 7 or 8 years old.

To the OP’s question, after 25 years, my Burgundy purchases - the wine I love over all others - are diminished.