Favorite Wine Movie

Ooops, just seems like it should be filmed in B and W. Has that classic feel. Maybe I am just too overexposed to modern cinema. Those older films color just looks washed out compared to the modern digital cameras.

I like Sideways and it’s fun to look for people and locations you recognize. It’s a bit over the top, but I also liked A Walk in the Clouds (even if Keanu didn’t kill anyone).

I have to say that while I like Alan Rickman’s character in Bottle Shock, I dislike the film. The female intern had to sleep with someone to relate and the father and son deal with arguments by climbing into a boxing ring.

-Al

I recall that Barrett “pere and fils” did have a pretty contentious relationship at times. Would not be surprising to hear stories of them throwing down,

It’s a documentary not a drama, but I thought ‘Before it begins’ was pretty darn good.
It was streaming on Amazon Prime, i’m not sure where you can find it now…

Not a movie, but my favorite wine scene is in The Jerk: “But no more 1966. Let’s splurge. Bring us some fresh wine. The freshest you’ve got. This year! No more of this old stuff.”

And the diametric opposite, in Ratatouille when Anton Ego asks for a Cheval Blanc 47 and, because they are out, receives a 61 Latour

Plus this-
A2D61CE5-2BC1-4669-8F06-74D69D09A3B9.jpeg

Agree.

I think in the Rudy thread there was mention of other movies / documentaries covering the story. Does anyone know the names or have links?

Sour Grapes

The great Vincent Price and Peter Lorre scene

1 Like

I can’t believe people actually like Bottle Shock. What tremendous crap that was. It’s like a bad Lifetime movie. I always felt bad for Alan Rickman being in that and having to play the snotty stereotype. I’m pretty sure George Taber hoped they were going to make a decent movie centered on his book. He said one was in the works after Bottle Shock but I do not think it came to fruition.

Sideways of course gets a lot of it right.

The references in The Jerk were great.

My favorite scenes involving wine are in Tampopo. There are two that are short but clearly written by someone with a clue. It’s a fantastic movie in any case. A must for foodies.

1 Like

Sorry, I meant in addition to Sour Grapes. I believe another film maker (maybe French?) did another one with different interviews. I might be mistaken.

1 Like

So good.

Loved A Good Year.

Anybody??

Babette’s Feast. More of a food movie, but wine with the dinner is an integral part of it.

I like the one where I get locked in an old money family’s cellar for a few days with Kate Winslet and Emilia Clarke.

Or is that just one of my dreams?

Roy Scheider brings a really nice bottle back from France and shares it with his brother (Hoffman) and then in the restaurant scene when he confronts the girlfriend there’s a long exchange with the som over what to order.
I haven’t seen it in years, just off the top of my head that’s what I remember

My fave wine scene is from “Hopscotch” with Walter Matthau and Glenda Jackson. It’s not easy to find but I recommend it highly. Brother Henry K would appreciate its operatic parallels.
Ned Beatty plays the buffoon character.