Favorite Trip/Destination Of All Time?

We haven’t done much of Europe. We’re still pretty young (I keep telling myself that) and try to do really exotic trips that are harder to get to and do. We did Italy in 2005 and Spain, France (Bordeaux), and Switzerland in 2012. Otherwise, we have looked it over a lot. Hell, I feel safer in Ho Chi Minh City than I do in Paris. Stupid people who want to blow people up… But that’s another subject!

Not a beach person, although have been to nice beaches in Thailand, Vietnam and New Zealand.

Non-beach - hard to choose favorite place, but a tie between Tanzania (safari in Serengeti & Ngorongoro crater & climbing Kiliminjaro) and France in July 2009 and July 2013 (great food & wine, watching Tour stages in person and cycling all over).

Bucket list is long, but Mongolia and Bhutan are at the top.

Turkey is unlike the rest of Europe. It’s Muslim for one thing, but with a strong (but sadly fading) secular bent.

Glad to hear your Tanzanian Safari is up there! We’ll be there in early June to both spots you mentioned!

Very true. My statement looks very stupid now… pileon

Borneo. Dove Sipidan Island, visited the Sepilok Orangutan Sanctuary, trekked the rainforests, and climbed Kota Kinabalu.
Second would be Cambodia.

Agreed

Italy-Rome, Amalfi Coast, Capri.

Beach: Rota Ecologica (Coast of Alagoas in Brazil)
Non Beach: Kastela and Split, Croatia

Beach - Wakaya, Fiji
Non Beach - France, all of it.

Over-water suite at Four Seasons Bora Bora. Has ruined all beach vacations since.

Coastline: Amalfi Coast–not calling it “beach” since it was November and no beach activity was undertaken.
City: Prague
Countryside: The Cotswolds

Yeah Zanzibar stone town is snoozeville

Tanzania is probably my favorite trip of all time. But we did big time glam camping so results may differ. The Crater is gorgeous, seeing the migration is fun and flying over the vast Serengeti is a once in a life time experience.

I agree with Charlie, the Crater (Crater Lodge) is an amazing site and unlike anything else on earth. Tanzania as a whole is tough to beat with the Serengeti, Crater, Kilimanjaro and big game hunting/photography. If your are going that far might as well check out Mauritius, not too shabby.

Crater Lodge is awesome. A bit too high end and old school for me but boy was it incredible. I could do without the classical french food tho. I prefer the more modern semi permanent camps we stayed at. Sayari along the Maru river was gorgeous, service was fantastic and I loved the modern touches. Also a tub that stares out into the Serengeti is pretty badass.

Beach - Guadalupe/San Salvador Island (Bahamas)
Wine related - Beaune
Culture/History - Venice
City - Probably New York/Paris
Ski - Meribel

Tanzania is probably my favorite trip of all time. But we did big time glam camping so results may differ. The Crater is gorgeous, seeing the migration is fun and flying over the vast Serengeti is a once in a life time experience.

I’m even more excited now!

+1. The sense of history was the most mesmerizing thing of all to me. It felt like a special and sacred land.

What parts exactly? My dad was originally form Israel (when it was Palestine, Haifa). I wanted to go to my grandfather’s funeral but my dad wouldn’t let me because I was under 18 and he was worried they’d keep me there in their army (dual citizen). I’d LOVE to go one day. And I’d love to hear the safest parts and where you all visited!

I traveled all over, but for me the most special place was Jerusalem. It wasn’t like traveling to a place in Europe like, Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, or the Eiffel Tower, where you feel like you’re heading to a tourist attraction. In Jerusalem, I felt like I was immersed in history at every turn. Just walking on the streets, you couldn’t help think that the most important figures from the three main Western religions had traveled down the same path. I’m not particularly religious, but the sense of history was palpable. And of course, then you also have the places to go that are extra special, even within the already magnificent environment, like the Western Wall, which was genuinely awe inspiring to see.

I’ll add that I went some time ago, but I never felt unsafe at any point. I know others have gone more recently, if you’re interested you could ask them about safety concerns.