Favorite Session beer?

Pliny the Younger - Russian River Brewing Co.

release date - February 5, 2010

11.0%ABV, 1.098 O.G, GOBS of BUs

available at the brewery for about 5 days…can’t wait to get my growler on!

I think I need to post the definition of a “session beer” here…

404 Not Found - BeerAdvocate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No higher than 4.5% abv. Pliny the Younger, while a delicious beer, is not even remotely to be considered a “session beer.”

Ditto. Maybe people can repost then non-session beers in the “what beer are you drinking” thread.

Jason

Anchor Steam.

Weizenbier, lots of it.

Best one is Schöfferhoffer, and for those really hot summer days I put some ice cubes
in it for which I would immediately be shot back in Germany.

Cheers
Christian

Jolly Pumpkin Bam Bier. Belgian Farmhouse style with some rustic sour notes. Fairly complex for a brew clocking in At 4.5%

Saison Dupont

Paulaner HefeWeizen

flirtysmile

[welldone.gif] imo, Paulaner makes the best Hefe in the world.

We agree on this one for sure, Brian!

imo, nobody even comes close.

My fav sesh brews in no special order:

Victory Prima Pils - 5.3% ABV
Hoegaarden White - 4.9% ABV
DFH Festina Peche - 4.5% ABV - Got to try this if you like sours
Paulaner HefeWeizen - 5.5% ABV
Fritz Briem’s 1809 (Berliner Weisse style) - 5.0% ABV
Stone IPA - 6.9% ABV

Obviously I don’t totally agree with the brothers def of a sesh brew (Their definition is actually 5.0% ABV & not 4.5%, BTW). To me it’s about drinkability, flavor, & balance.

Yes the Stone is on the high side @ 6.9% ABV, but it tastes so damned good!

[drinks.gif]

Rob,
I was not aware the Dogfish Peche was in the spectrum of sour … thank you for pointing that out – now I’ll have to try one!

Yeah Brian,

It’s really nice stuff! Couterintuitive to get there using peaches, but it works. It’s actually my fav DFH brew. Won’t hold it’s head with Gueuze, obviously (what can?!?), but think a kinda Berliner Weisse - although I don’t think there’s any wheat in this one.

Maybe a better name is in order, huh?

Oh, and they’re not giving it away. Prices here on Long Island are as high as $15/4 pack, but I see it for $10, too.

Prost!

[drinks.gif]

i’ve seen it around here for $10 - $12 a four pack. I’ve avoided it because, seeing peaches were used, I always assumed it was somewhat akin to Pyramid’s Apricot Ale - which isn’t bad, but it’s not worth $3/bottle, either. I’ll give it a shot. I agree, nothing beats a good Gueuze!

Brian, just don’t blame me if you get hooked on this stuff! LOL

I turned a friend on to this, & she cleaned out !/2 the Distributors in two Counties!

It IS a seasonal brew so they’re not making it again 'til May/June.

Prost!

I just don’t “get” Dogfish Peche. It smells of candied vomit to me.

I’ve always thought that part of the idea is the alcohol is low enough to be able to drink a few in one “session” without adverse effects. 6.9% puts something out of that category for me.

edit: I know I mentioned Gavroche earlier, I think I was just a bit worked up about it.