Favorite QPR wine under $25

Clos De La Roilette Fleurie - $24
Bedrock Old Vine Zin - $20
GD Vajra Barbera d’Alba - $25
Vietti Roero Arneis - $25
Donnhoff Estate Riesling - $25

TW

The place I got it is now out of it, but $25 is what I paid this summer for the wonderful 2017 Bourgogne Blanc from Bernard Moreau.

I actually have a red of his to try out (2010 La Cardeuse) but I know the Domaine produces primarily whites and they seem to be unanimously praised, as well as keenly priced.

A huge selection of Vincent wines are under $25.00, some under $20.00.

Silly good value considering the high quality.

Tom

Moreau’s reds are excellent, but their whites surpass their reds.

For something like this I often just defer to my local wine shop and buy something that they are selling.They introduce me to something new and I support a local business and build a relationship with the people there. Of course I buy something I am interested in sold across the country sometimes, but I really don’t know how much happier I am by buying a St. Amour cru beaujolais or nebbiolo that I know something about over a Menetou-Salon rose that my local wine shop is selling. I often view whatever I buy or what they sell at this price point as being QPRs. Labeling something as favorite is not necessary. The wines all have their purpose based on the meal I am having.

I think my QPR king this year for just about $25 was the '17 Drouhin Montagny. Everything you want in white Burgundy for a killer price, nothing you don’t.

Chateau Thivin Brouilly is sub-$25 (barely) and ageworthy.

1 Like

I’m a broken record on this - Vallana, Vallana, Vallana, Vallana…The Boca and Gattinara are around $25, give or take, and the superb Campi Raudii under $20. If you like nebbiolo at all, it’s foolish to miss these.

1 Like

another vote for Bedrock OVZ

Idlewild Flora & Fauna Red Wine (blend of Dolcetto, Barbera and Nebbiolo) can be found for under $25, and it’s the greatest pizza wine in the world.

To reiterate some above suggestions, Vina Alberdi, Ode to Lulu Rose, and Pieropan Soave are all awesome choices and regulars for me (also Pra ‘Otto’ Soave equally delightful). I’d add Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva, terre nere etna rosso, and the Carl Loewen Longuicher Herrenberg Kabinett

Unfortunately Sarah, the Vallana Boca and Gattinara are almost never available for under 25 in the US (especially in CA), otherwise that’d be a more regular buy

I said around $25. I don’t know about CA, but I recently bought 2016 Boca for $25 on the case price and have accumulated cases and cases of the Gattinara for between $26 and $28. It almost doesn’t matter, though, because the Campi Raudii is as good as the Boca and blows the Gattinara off the table for far less. Max at The Wine Connection offers Vallana regularly at good prices and sometimes has great sales. Just keep an eye out, they come up often.

Edited to correct my poor memory.

You can usually find the Curran Grenache Blanc for around $18-20, and it’s just excellent year after year. It’s also both a wine that both wine geeks and your civilian neighbors and relatives will enjoy, and a wine that’s good with food and good by itself.

Thivin Cote de Brouilly still can be found for under $25, though it’s trending above that price point.

The Turley Juvenile and Carlisle appellation zins are very good at (I think) under $25.

Thanks for the tip, I’ll keep a look out for the Campi Raudii, I’ve only had the Spanna and Gattinara. Sadly, so many excellent Italian wines either don’t make it to California, or show up $10+ more expensive than in the NE.

Domaine de la Pépière Vieilles Vignes Briords all day every day!

Widely available…
Jaffurs Santa Barbara County Syrah $22
Alexander Valley Vineyards Cab $22
Bodegas Ateca Calatayud Atteca Old Vines $14
Villa Antinori Toscana $15
St Francis Old Vine Zin $12

Rory - I actually paid only $25 on the case for the 2016 Boca ( I misremembered and have corrected my original post) and WSP shows it still available from at least one reputable store at that price. You’d have to ship, but to CA that’s easy, no?

1 Like

domaine de marquiliani corse le rose de pauline

ameztoi getariako txakolina rubentis

dom faury st joseph

alice et olivier de moor bourgogne-aligote

dom rousset les picaudieres croze hermitage

domaine louis michel chablis

I echo both Bedrock and Sandler. Goodfellow and Vincent have good QPRs. I would add Loring and Scherrer too, you have to buy at futures pricing to get under $25 though.