Favorite non-first growth Bordeauxs?

Agree on all these points. As I said above, I think the best non-first growth wines from the over 50% Cabernet Sauvignon parts of Bordeaux are Ducru, Leoville las Cases, Palmer and la Mission Haut Brion.

VCC and LLC.

I’d still take Montrose, especially since La Mish is now a merlot. [wow.gif]

My local retailer must be reading! Just got an emailer offering 6 vintages of Ducru going back to 2010! lol.

1 Like

Now where can I find that?

It would be interesting if “this honest house” will refund all the tainted bottles I´ve got the pleasure to taste vintages 1985-1990 …

Once I had 3 guests from The Netherlands in my home - and we agreed to taste DB 1982-1990 …
out of 7 bottles 3 were heavily tainted and one mildly …
[head-bang.gif]

Agreed - wines after 1995 usually were fine …

Did I miss something here or do all of us basically adore the same < a dozen non-first bordeaux?

Rausan Segla
LLC

Pichon Lalande for me by a considerable margin. Then Lynch Bages and LMHB and VCC in no particular order

Ducru Beaucaillou has always been more a wine of the head than of the heart for me. I respect it, but it doesn’t move me emotionally. Same for Gruaud Larose. I’m not rich (or old) enough to have had sufficient Cheval Blanc, Ausone or Petrus to form an opinion

Saw it at retail in Seattle.

I started getting into wine just as the non-firsts were becoming totally unaffordable, so I don’t get to drink them very often. In the realm of the still-manageable, I love Grand-Puy-Lacoste, Rauzan Segla, Kirwan, and Prieure-Lichine.

If cost wasn’t a factor: Ducru, Palmer, the Pichons, and Cos.

Right bank I’ve always had a soft spot for Figeac.

U had the '04 ducru with me last yr…it was good…not great

Haha, shows how memorable it was. I already forgot. Forgot that I was with you, too. :slight_smile:

Could have been the company vs. the wine… [berserker.gif]

This might be a repeat but in no particular order
LLC
Pichon Lalande
Pichon Baron

I like Montrose and Cos but never been floored away.

In terms of my favorites for QPR - Pontet Canet, Leoville Poyferre and Haut Bailey.

G-L-O-R-I-A, Gloria!

Lynch Bages

Château Pichon Baron

Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande

My favorites are Pichon Baron, Pichon Lalande, Haut Bailly, Leoville Barton and Domaine de Chevalier.