Favorite Howell Mountain Tastings

I get it, but there are plenty of wineries and winemakers that take a much different approach. Our last visit in August was really a treat. We went to quite a few wineries we had never been to and were pleasantly surprised. I think the toughest part of the Napa experience now is that most of the wineries have these ā€œambassadorsā€ that throw out the buzz words left and right and it can come across as very packaged and rehearsed. But if you seek out some of the smaller wineries or ones where you have a good relationship, you can get a much different experience.

This was the third year in a row that I went. Many good experiences early on and meeting with Roy Piper was always special. I enjoyed staying in Yountville as well as the restaurants there. Dining at LaToque in the city of Napa was great. Itā€™s just that the third year it seemed it was all about being expected to buy wine from the wineries, which often is available at retail back home for less. It made me feel uncomfortable and diminished the recreational aspect of the visits.

Some of my favorite Howell Mtn wines/tastings:

Robert Foley
Robert Craig
Arkenstone
Dunn
Lamborn (but youā€™ll have to taste somewhere else)
Ladera (bought out, so not sure of the wine or experience at this point)
Red Cap

The best Howell Mountain wine Iā€™ve tasted is Las Posadas from Abreu

While I enjoy both Dunn and Cimarossa wines, Iā€™ve only been to Cimarossa.

When comparing the two, Cimarossa is a bit more accessible than the Dunn Howell Mtn Cabernet. Cimarossa has four red wines (sometimes five if they release their special red), three of which are ā€œsingle vineyardā€ (based on sun exposure spots) and one blend. They also have a nice Sauvignon Blanc. Their blend and Ponente are fairly approachable at a young age, whereas Levante and Rian are best with some age. All the reds have a rich red/black fruit profile, but a distinct herbal/clay note. Iā€™ve never found Cimarossa to be overblown or flabby.

Cimarossa makes it a point to highlight food pairings with their wines (owner has an Italian background), so the reds normally aim to work with food to some degree.

Like Dunn, they are delicious Cabernets, yet possess some early drinkability. The little chalet in the forest where they host tastings is a wonderful experience.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation, just booked an appointment there next month.

2 Likes

You donā€™t go to Dunn to drink the wines you go to see the vineyard that produced the wines youā€™ve been drinking for decades. Itā€™s not a nice modern facility, last time I went we tasted with some guy that has been there less than a year and drinking current vintage Dunn is not a highly pleasurable experience. That said Iā€™m glad I went

If your going to enjoy the wines youā€™ll be drinking maybe another choice is in order

2 Likes

^^^ This.

Davidā€™s experience mirrors my experience to the T.

2 Likes

+1000

1 Like

No idea what the Lamborns are up to lately (think they sold?), but I have fond memories of tasting wine on the deck. Black Sears, also not sure if they are still operating, but we would take a deli lunch with us and taste wine at their picnic table in the vineyard.

Or, one could just go to the ā€œTaste of Howell Mountainā€ annual event. Itā€™s a good time. Typically in June each year.

1 Like

Black Sears is still in operation.

If you want a nice upscale hospitality experience Id go to Cade. If you want a down home authentic experience Red Cap is still my call.

1 Like

It was excellent and a lot of fun 10 years ago, but canā€™t speak for now. Contact Will Sequi, who is a member here. Our tasting was in the office standing around looking at the signature on the wall from Tom Seaverā€™s friends. Not only did they pour us some great Outrpost, but they then directed us up the street to Black Sears, which we had never heard of but have been buying from ever since.

They damn well better be or my wife will go up there and murder them. It is her personal project and her favorite wine. It would be one of our top five producers but for the fact that she keeps drinking it.
Chris Jambois with wine and helmet.jpg

Chris, are those old zin vines???

I have so much to learn up thereā€¦and hope the Viking helmet is part of the tasting experience.

Huge fan of Outpost. Weā€™ve been a few times but not since the buy out. We had issues with Robert Craig and their communication/customer service.

The Viking helmet is the unofficial WineBerserkers Helmet that was originally provided by Alan Chan at BF 2.5. He left it at my house and I carry it around from time to time to photograph with wine personalities and others. The vines are the Black Sears estate vineyard at the top of the mountain on the east facing slope. I took the photo on a drizzly, misty, foggy day in early May in, I think 2012. Chris said that the vineyard is great because it faces east and gets early sun to dry off any dew or moisture and the offshore winds lose their moisture on the way up the mountain from the west. But I just drink the stuff.

Almacerro is one of our new favorites up there. Wines havenā€™t been released yet but you can visit and I believe the inaugural vintage will be released in March ish time.

Visited cimmarosa this year and was an amazing visit.

Paravel Wines (http://www.paravelwines.com) are amazing. Outstanding Cabernets, Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, and Rose. Jon Jones is the owner/winemaker and a terrific guy.

1 Like

Those vines are now about 50 years old.