Favorite Foillard Cuvee?

I did not open any 2009 3.14 until early last year. It was still tight, but certainly not overripe.

Hard to say [dontknow.gif]
If 2007 is the ‘normal’ vintage, I would say 5+ years but YMMV

The Lapierre MMIX was the only 2009 I found over the top. I haven’t had it recently to see what’s happened to it, though - could turn out just fine. I’m still convinced this will go down as a legendary vintage. I like 2011 a lot - it was undersold - have not had good luck with 2010 - it was oversold…

I was just looking to have a general idea. Thanks

Liked the 2013 Cote du Py so much returned and bought four 750mls and a magnum. Unusual for me to get that quantity. Price was helpful.

Py.

Bumping to ask if anyone has tried the ‘Les Charles Eponym’ and how it differs from the CdP and Corcelette

If I recall correctly, it was Cote du Py that allowed Marc to see the light.

Only had it once, the 2013 in May of 2016:

On the nose you can smell/sense the crispness of the 13 vintage. On palate its a touch woody and clumsy. It has the sour cream fruit of Foillard and it seems a touch of sulfur or something that dries it out a bit.

Finish is longer than the 14 Corcelette or the 14 Lapierre. Pleasant fruit and flavor on the finish.

Overall my recollection was I liked it less than the other Foillard bottlings. Even though its not in my note, austere is the word that stuck in my head. I need to try again, this weekend. I have the 13 & 14 vintages.

I think these grapes come from the highest elevation in Morgon.

Julian, I have had the 2013 and 2014 Les Charmes several times and it is lovely wine. Les Charmes is, indeed, the highest altitude lieu-dit in Morgon, which seems to contribute some additional brightness and freshness to the wine, but it has good flesh on the palate and is somewhat more supple than even Corcelette. It is a prettier, more open and easy cuvee than CdP or Corcelette. FWIW, Jean-Foillard made a Beaujolais-Villages cuvee in 2016, which I have not yet tried, but which may make for entry to good Foillard at about half the price of the crus.

Disclaimer: I sell Foillard.

I’m beginning to sense that there are too many ‘cuvees’ hitting the shelves, bit just for Foillard, but for many Bojo producers.

My favorite bottle to date has been the 2009 Corcelette! I have not tried the The Charles Eponym.

The trend seems to be towards more diverse offerings. It seems like Thivin has a bunch of new ones in recent years.

Typically how many years do the Foillard Cote du Py’s need? Just wondering if I should force myself not to open my 2016s…

Just a datapoint, had a 2010 out of mag earlier this year and it was singing.

Pie

Generally speaking there is no requirement to wait on these; they can be magic right out of the gate. I haven’t tried the 16s but reports are they are quite good.

I’ve tried the Cote du Py and Corcelette side by side the last two vintages (2015, 2016). I’ve enjoyed both but would go with the Py if I could only have one.
In my experience, the Corcelette is pretty and more red fruit oriented while the Py is a bit darker and more mineral. Both lovely wines and very drinkable.

I prefer the style of the 2016s to the 2015s. I was afraid when I saw the higher listed alcohol percentages on the 2015s but the wines didn’t show it.

As to aging, I’ve only had them young but plan on drinking the rest of what I have with some age on it as I’ve heard they age quite well. Maybe over the next 5-10+ years.

Does anyone know why the name of the 3.14 cuvee was changed to Athanor? I wasn’t sure if it was a new cuvee but was told it’s a renaming. I was tempted to give it a try since I haven’t had the 3.14 but was scared off by the listed 15.5% on the label. I’m speaking of the 2015 for this wine.

the wine you are referring to is a one off cuvee made on account of the high degree of maturity reached in 2015, not a replacement of the 3.14. i suspect the athanor is a blend of the ripest grapes among all the parcels. 3.14 comes from the oldest vines in the cote du puy vineyard. i have not tasted the athanor but i can’t imagine it being comparable to 3.14 or any other wine foillard has made, hence the need to create a new wine.

this is about all the information i could find about it: “Ainsi, en 2015, Jean Foillard produira la cuvée les Athanors (fourneaux utilisés par les alchimistes). Un vin issu de vignes ayant bénéficié bien malgré elles d’un mûrissement exceptionnel, atteignant des degrés potentiels d’alcool anormalement élevés pour la région.”

Pardon?