Favorite Bordeaux non vintage of the century

2004 from this millennium.

From the past I favour 1994, 1983, 1971, and 1962. Of the outliers I have had great experiences with 1973 (with surprisingly few bad bottles). I guess you could also add 1952, 1948, 1933, and 1923 to that list. Not to forget the lovely 1842s - now all but forgotten!

A vote for 2012 because it reminds me so much of the 1985s at a similar age; both vintages have been accessible at a very early age. Prices are reasonable for the 2012s which makes it a very useful vintage.

I accept that 2014 may turn out to be the superior vintage in the fullness of time given the Indian summer in that year but you really can’t go wrong with 2012. I have a great fondness for 2008, based on the limited number of wines I have tried, which I rate above 2001.

In the so-called non-trophy vintages in the noughties my pecking order would be 2008, 2004, 2001, 2006, 2002, 2007, 2003…

I had indeed forgotten the 1842s.

Why bother to drink non-vintage-of-the-century Bordeaux, when harder to find than vintage-of-the-century Bordeaux?

The 2012s have not really moved me, but I’ve only popped some Crus and lower-tier GCs. I have some Trotanoy, Haut Bailly, Branaire, etc., but have not popped them. What stands out to you? Like 2008, I’m always open to revisit.

Last century - 1962, 1966, 1970, 1986, 1996

This century - 2001, 2014

Cheaper and in some cases actually better? Cf 2005, which tastes oddly samey to me, apart from being ridiculously priced

Agree. Based on this and a few earlier posts, going to put together a 2008 mix case to get a read. I keep picking up more and more 2014. Great value.

pick your answer preference!

Answer 1: cos we are AFWE and we prefer the lighter less ripe flavours in the NVOTC wines
Answer 2: cos the VOTC wines take forever to come around and the NVOTC wines are ready earlier
Answer 3: NVOTC are not harder to find - question is based on a false premise
Answer 4: they are cheaper
Answer 5: VOTC and NVOTC are bullshit labels that mean nothing

Hah!

I’m sure an outlier on this, but I really liked the 1999’s. The dollar was strong and the Bordelais were weak, so I ended up with lots of wines purchased indent, for cheap. They were quaffed with little concern (or even understanding) that I would chuckle at now. There was an easy drinking, early generosity to the 1999s.

I might have less than 3 btls of the 10+ cases purcased EP left at this point, and at age 20, they will make their appointment in corkscrew Samarra this year.

I’ve had some awesome (mostly Right Bank) 99’s. VCC and Canon la Gaffeliere are a couple examples.

Left Bank - '86
Right Bank - '01

Dan Kravitz

Sarcasm is typically obvious.

While acknowledging that Victor was being tongue in cheek, I have a good amount of faith in the 2005s coming good over the long term. But I have no plans to drink any of mine now.

If price is a factor, my two favorite under the radar vintages are 83 and 02. Both were/are so inexpensive for so long. I recall buying the 02 Pontet Canet off the shelf in shops for $22, the 02 Leoville Barton for $28, 02 Branaire Ducru for $18, etc.

83 is still my value proposition from the 80’s, just had an 83 Cantemerle tonight that was singing. Plus it was strong on both banks.

Agreed- huge 88 and 08 fan here.

I am also keeping an eye on 2006 these days- Magdelaine in particular is putting on weight and looking far more serious than it did at release.

I agree - these are excellent vintages. Perhaps even vintages of the century;-)

I was going for less heralded vintages but you’re right of course, I don’t think any of these were touted as VOTC at the time. Though if any of these seasons had taken place since 2000 they would undoubtedly have been heralded as vintage of this century…

Good stuff Howard!
1996 may well be a good vintage of the century “imposter” [wow.gif] : love that vintage especially from many a Médoc estate.
Totally agree with 2001, across the region. Recently had a 2001 Rauzan-Ségla that was utterly gorgeous, proving the point that 2001 is not just about the Right Bank and Graves, even if those latter regions/appellations excelled more in 2001 on average. And let’s not forget how fine the whites dry and sweet were in 2001. :slight_smile:

Big fan of the 01’s, both banks. Typically they have great balance and elegance. I prefer many 01’s to their Vintage of the Century counterparts.

Of course, vintages of the century are much easier to find because there are so many more of them.