Favorite Barbaresco and Barolo normale bottlings

Otto,

You might want to actually taste the wines before you write them off as ‘disappointing, thin and underwhelming.’

Unfortunately I feel even the critics who specifically address Barbaresco often are taking someone else’s word on it without tasting. There is a lot of copy/pasting on the Internet. Looking back on my notes, the 2014 produttori I opened two months ago was incredibly sappy and robust, with a similar structure to the 12s.

Agreed.

But I’d still argue that my original point stands in that one shouldn’t compare a wine of one vintage to a wine from a different region and a markedly different vintage. No matter how the 2014’s turn out, the growing season was very different from 2013 in Barbaresco, let alone the rest of Piedmont.

Thank you for this list and the link. There are several there that I would like to find but are scarce in my area (Brovia and Burlotto in particular).

NYT article re the 2014 vintage for Barbaresco:

It was odd that Asimov didn’t discuss in that column the differences between Barolo and Barbaresco in '14. That deserved at least one sentence, given the bad reputation of the vintage.