Favorite Aligote?

In Quebec, Canada Bouchard’s Aligote is priced at 60% of Villaine.

Have only tried a few. Very much enjoyed the Aligoté from Arnaud Ente. And just ordered a few 2011 from Benoit Ente to try.

Coche-Dury. Only other aligote I had was Leroy, which doesn’t compare.

Dumb question, does this suffer from the same pre-mox problems as white burgs do?

just had a 2007 Ramonet Aligote that was delicious and great QPR.

One of my old favorites, Patrice Rion, makes the best one I’ve had in several vintages…love it with 7-8 years on it, too…creaminess from the old vines he has.

D’Auvenay, easily. It trumps any other Aligote I have ever tasted (and Arnaud Ente, Ponsot, and some other make pretty good Aligote’s, but D’Auvenay is in its own league).

Second vote for Alice & Olivier de Moor.

A very good question. I have had premoxed bottles of Ponsot Monts Luisants, and I’m pretty sure they weren’t just in the awkward phase that has been observed with this wine.

My favorite is Michel Lafarge’s Raisins Dorés.

I really despise all the (over) use of wood for Aligoté, just to create some semblance of complexity. Goisot is a clear culprit in this case, but they aren’t alone, sadly. I wish people would love Aligoté for what it is instead of trying to masquerade it as Chardonnay and using it as a marketing ploy at the same time.

Just today, I stumbled on six bottles of de Moor’s very old vines aligote, the 2011 Plantation 1902. I’ve never been much of a fan of aligote, but this was a revelation.

My good value Aligote: A.P Villiane Bouzeron
My benchmark Aligote: D’Auvenay - IMHO even the Leroy one is not at this level.

Fanny Sabre and Yann Durieux

De moor and Ponsot

I especially like the A Ligoter bottling from de Moor

Goisot is aged 100% en cuve. ZERO WOOD.
Shame on you for making such assertions.

Do you know if this has changed recently? I haven’t visited them in nearly 10 years. The 2004 Aligoté was nearly undrinkable, as far as I’m concerned. If that wine was 100% cuve, then there was something really wrong with it.

I find even the most eminent wine drinkers often mistake reduction for new wood.

Ive tasted as far back as '07, zero wood.
Lafarge, your recommended fave, ages in wood.

Or TCA and even other flaws like the p’ox.

I’ve long thought that Coche-Dury wines were over-oaked…as I find that matchstick/gunpowder and charred element intrusive in almost every wine I’ve had from the estate. I recently learned (pretty convincingly) from Herwig Jansen that it is not likely oak. Coche told him he used no new oak in the particular cuvee Herwig was tasting at Coche’s. Whatever the element, I dislike it…though I still don’t really know what it is. I supposed it could be a kind of reduction, but…am not that motivated or able to figure it out. So…I’ll leave it to the trophy hunters, who almost never seem to mention it, other than to say “that typical Coche” vanillin, spice, whatever. Frankly, it’s the only white wines I’ve ever found this in.