Favorite ACTUAL pizza and wine pairings

Argentiera Bolgheri Superiore

I always do my best to post notes from gifts. I will be sure to post my impressions here after next weekend. I’m very excited to try it.

Hmmmm.
I think you could be messin’ with me, but I am too often suspicious so I am going to give this suggestion a try. Thanks!

I think you’re gonna like it! [cheers.gif]

Don’t skimp on the cheese and fat.

Cheese pizza, Amarone
Pepperoni pizza, Bodegas Carchello
The works, pepperoni, bacon bits, bell pepper, onion and garlic, El Nido Clio

Ridge Zin with pepperoni pizza.

I would typically go with beer, but if we drink wine it is often an approachable Chianti (Nipozzano Vecchie Viti is my go-to weekday Chianti, a great value).

I’m usually a pizza and beer guy
but will try the suggestions here.

Another vote for this pairing. However, vintage Barolo with white truffle white pizza is my all time fav.

Probably the best food wine pairing I have had in 2019 was a marguerita pizza at Lucalis with 1999 Soldera Brunello

jim
can you explain your use of “ACTUAL” in the op?
i do love a fuller bodied rose with most pizza, but young champagne works really well

One go-to for me is the SP68 bottling from Occhipinti. Fresh and delicious, nice with all things tomato.

They say everything goes with pizza. Take a look > Berserkerfest 10.1 - 7th Annual Di Fara's offline - Fat Tuesday March 5, 2019 - post wines please - Event Planner - Online or Offline - WineBerserkers

Bob, over the years you have posted countless wine tasting notes on wines you opened with pizza. Those weren’t lost on me and probably many others here and on other boards. Hopefully, you were able to save and archive some of those tasting notes.

Thanks for asking and I am sure you are not alone. Yeah, maybe not the best wording, but by “actual” I meant not a “theoretical” wine and pizza pairing, not looking for one that “should work”, but one that you have “actually” had yourself and enjoyed. I put it in caps as “ACTUAL” to try and draw attention to what I was looking for. I am pretty sure my phrasing missed the mark with some folks, others seemed to have deciphered my intent. All good either way!

absolutely agree. a lot of great responses [cheers.gif]

Another great ACTUAL paring

A Rafanelli zin or cab with pizza is a wonder for the palate to behold.

Rafanelli cabs still have that wild brambliness I have loved all along, and the zins mesh so well with a good crust.

Thanks for all the good ideas so far. I have already been influenced enough to go get two wines that were recommended a couple of times each. Tonight is Tuesday Pizza, and we’ll be drinking the Lambrusco di Sorbara on the right.
pizza wines (2).jpg

I love Barbera Frizzante or Bonarda Frizzante with Pizza - slightly chilled of course -

I love a fresh and fruity wine with most of the pizzas we make, but I haven’t been making a lot of very Italian pizzas lately. Pizza bianca (sour cream and mushroom sauce) with potatoes, red onions and comtĂ© is awesome with pinots, Beaujolais and many reds from the Jura (duh!). Pizza bianca (same sauce for all my biancas) with minced pork mixed with ginger, garlic and soy sauce and “burnt” kale is great with a chardonnay with low oak influence, gruner veltliner and other whites with a good mouthfeel.

For more traditional pizzas I reach for the same suggestions that others have mentioned (Chianti, Rosso di Montalcino etc.). Young sangiovese pairs really well with melted cheese and tomato.