"Fantastic Value!"

Sounds like this is pretty much a “throw the dart and whatever it hits will be a fantastic value” producer for you, Dennis?

Yes! Exactly. Drank '01 and '04 Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese last week and they are still values now and probably qualify as ridiculous at release pricing all things considered. [cheers.gif]

Pinot: Luli, CA; Pike Road, OR
Chard: Gibbs (neutral so to speak, not oaky and not too citrusy.
S/B: Matua
Big Red that’s not syrup: Bodegas Vulver Triga
Low ABV Red Blend: Gibbs Dusty Red
Low ABV Cab: Gibbs St. Helena
Big Cab: Chappellet Signature and real big plus inexpensive: Tuck Beckstoffer’s 75
Zin: Saldo for strength, Dashe Cellars for restrained and to accompany a cigar
Syrah: Christopher Tynan
Rose: Campesino Isa mainstream. Ultra dry: Buonchristiani
Tawny Port: Penfold’s Club Port
Sparkling: Not a fan and prefer crisp over bread: Zardetto Prosecco or true Champagne: Francois Lecompte grower’s champagne. 2009 is stellar right now.

agree on felsina and produttori. pretty much can be positive anything from both of these two is gonna be a deal at whatever price point. produttori is also often a bargain even with age on it.

giocosa’s valmaggiore is also a steal pretty often.

would also throw out Kelley Fox’s Ahurani and Mirabai bottlings. just delicious wine for a bargain price.

Dublere Bourgogne Les Millerands, year in and year out.

It’s not normal US price rises. It’s an importer’s decision, I would guess, since the mark-up is anomalously high, almost 3X ex domaine for the Vacqueyras. I guess $90 for the Vacqueyras is what the market will bear, but I can find many very good wines for that price and less.

At the low end, Alcesti Frappato at about $10.
At the higher end, Taittinger Comte de Champagne, esp. the 2006.
Many, many German wines including Zilliken Saarburger Rausch and Maximin Grunhauser Abtsberg as Kabinett or Spatlese.
Chateau Climens
Dublere Chorey les Beaune. Actually almost everything Blair made (unfortunately, he sold his winery so that these wines will not be made going forward).
Bernard Moreau Bourgogne Blanc
Ramonet Pernand-Vergelesses Les Belles Filles 2012. I love Ramonet reds. I love the whites too, but the prices are expensive.
Hudelot-Noellat Vosne Romanee or Chambolle Musigny
Produttori Barbaresco (for me, the best value in Piedmont wines)

I love JJ Prum. The producers I have the most wine from in my cellar are Truchot and JJ Prum.

Good call, I wanted to include this on my list but didn’t want ppl to buy it up!

At the lowest end : Trapiche Chardonnay, year in and year out…with 15% off when you shop at SAQ-Depot for a total number of 12 bottle of any of their products.

Jim - OK…750 ml bottle at CA$11.25 and if you buy a case of 12…it will come to CA$9.56 per bottle. [cheers.gif]

Apologies in advance for being a wet blanket, but I struggle to see the merit in tossing out a bunch of wine names without explanation regarding why it’s a fantastic value. For those of you who have done that, bravo.

Jim, I agree about the increased value of the post that comes with an explanation. I also especially like the posts that reference specific recent bottles (id’d by vintage).

P.S. I do the wet blanket thing myself. I actually consider it one of my strengths, but I also apologize for it occasionally, as I have learned some view it otherwise. [cheers.gif]

Willamette Valley (base level) Chardonnays from Goodfellow, Cameron, and Walter Scott. The prices on these have held steady while the prices of the white Bourgognes that I bought in the past keep creeping up a few dollars a year. These three wines are better tasting (to me) and increasingly cheaper. The 2017s from all were fantastic, though I suspect this applies to any vintage.

NV Marie Courtin Resonance - great Champagne at an affordable price.

Fair point. Let me elaborate on my earlier selections. I opted to focus on more pricey wines ($40-$80) that still deliver value IMO.

Donnhoff GGs are remarkably consistent expression of Nahe Riesling. They are lush and full but always precise and laser focused. They honor their site and provide enjoyment both young and old. There’s this interplay between bone dry structure/acidity/slate and exotic fleshy fruit I find intoxicating. Plus they will last forever and provide no premox anxiety along the way. World class white at very fair prices.

Breze chenins fit many of the criteria above … longevity and coiled intensity balanced by fleshy clean fruit … they are like poor man’s GC white Burg at quarter of price. I get that’s not what many people are looking for in a Loire wine but I dig them.

Barthod bons batons is a Bourgogne that often drinks like a
1er Cru Chambolle-Musigny at a third of the price. Her wines usually need time but these are always delicious. They are both rocky/crunchy and relatively opulent. Roumier also makes his Bourgogne from this plot I believe.

Matua SB, at <$10, great value, Borgo Scopeto, Chianti Classico, very tasty and <$15,Zardetto and Mionetto Prosecco,
quality sparklers at attractive prices,Boyer-Martenot Bourgogne Aligote, <$20

I also want to add just about any wine made by occhipinti to the list. such quality winemaking, pure expression, brilliant aromas, and bright fruit. all in a package that is in the 20ish range.

also most wines from vajra definitely fit the bill. the langhe Nebbiolo is like 12 bucks at a shop in the area here and always delivers.

I love Vajra, but are you sure it’s not the Langhe rosso, which is mostly Freisa and Barbera? The nebbbiolo is usually around $20. I’d back the truck up if you find that one for $12. I actually really enjoy both, although the nebbiolo can handle some age while I find the rosso should be drank quickly.

Matthew, I think ‘fantastic value’ wines can be found over a wide price spectrum. That $40-$80 range is one that interests a lot of us and I for one am interested in finding value in this range also. Thanks for posting these.
And there is no need to stick to just inexpensive values in posts on this thread, as witnessed by a couple of Dom Perignon '08 mentions!
champagne.gif

positive. the place here does a deal if you pay cash for it (don’t even have to pick it up in a dark alley!)

its pretty amazing it stays on the shelf

Yeah that’s awesome. I would definitely buy a couple of cases, especially 2015 and 2016. The Rosso is good, but the Nebbiolo is clearly much better.