Fall Shipments and "Temporary" Storage

Due to a lot of purchases lately of De Negoce, Arcadian and regular fall mailing lists I will run out of room in my two Eurocaves. While I contemplate a custom cellar build in the meantime, what does everyone do for “temporary” storage? I have a large under the stairs closet I can store boxes of wine, but there is no cooling. I was thinking this may be ok during the fall/winter when the temperature decreases, although I do live in Southern California. I suppose it’s worth investing in a temperature monitor to find out what the highest temperature might be? At what highest temperature is everyone comfortable storing wine for 3-6 months?

low 70s F i think is pretty safe for that time period. i suppose it’s wine dependent, but regardless i don’t think you’d experience any long-term harm under that scenario.

for a cheap monitoring setup with remote notifications, etc., wireless tag is a great solution: https://goo.gl/su178a

1 Like

I would determine what I would feel comfortable with by the value of each bottle, temperature and when I plan to drink them.
I would put the highest value wines in wine frig, offsite, basement,etc and cheapest ones in warmer areas. I prefer nothing over 80 degrees.

1 Like

Why not ship to a wine storage place for 6-12m? The cost isn’t crazy.

1 Like

Hi Bryan,

I’m in San Diego (Solana beach really) and have a very similar setup with no air conditioning in the house. I’ve converted the space under my stairs to a wine cave. The front is a rolling rack that stores about 6 cases and then I built out racking hidden underneath for an additional 10 cases. The under stair storage is where my DN and other daily drinkers go. Over the last 7 years we’ve had no issue with spoilige. Sure they may age a bit faster but given that those are the wines we drink regularly they really don’t last all that long (2-4 years at most).

I use Aqara to monitor all my wine storage temps. Here’s what the temps over the past week looked like.

Geoff
aqara temp.png

1 Like

That’s really helpful! I will pick up a temperature monitor and see how high my temps get where I live. Probably hotter than where you are.

Bryan, how many of your wines are things you plan to drink in the next few months to a year? Keep the wines you plan to age for a long time under temperature controlled conditions. Take some of your everyday wines and other things you plan to drink soon out of the temperature controlled units and try to keep them in the coolest, darkest place in your house.

Nothing to add, but Solano Beach makes me think back to all the trips to VG’s donuts we made while living on campus at UCSD in the early 70s. And a lot of meals at Fidel’s. Not sure I could survive that now, but fond memories!

Alan, both VGs and Fidel’s are still going strong. And VGs donuts are still as good as ever!!

Geoff

1 Like

Off site storage. for example you can rent a 24 case locker for $300 for the year (The Wine Locker) in Van Nuys. They, like most, will receive wine shipments. Temp and humidity monitored.