Falafel

Sure! I agree. Look forward to getting together with you and Aaron in the near future

Falafel drive in in San Jose.
Best during weekdays during lunch (falafels are much fresher and not sitting around)

Mamoun’s brings back many memories. I lived and went to school about 100 yards from it in the 70’s.

Felafel, to me, is like french fries, burgers, pizza fried chicken…lots of variables, not all necessarily focused on the felafel itself…and with many many excellent examples that don’t lend to a real “best”, ie, not usually a destination determiner in my experience, maybe unlike fried chicken, pizza can be.

I love the stuff and great place would be a destination for me but I have yet to find one.

It is a tough product with which to maintain a consistent level of excellence, imo.

The felafel itself requires a flavorful mixture fried well… not over-cooked on the outside and/or under-cooked inside (yuck).

Then even great felafel can be ruined with sub par bread and/or garnishes (heartbreaking).

If you know a place that nails it every time, cherish it.

I couldn’t agree more. When a falafel has everything going for it, it rises way above any burger in my book (though a DB style burger fashioned from ground sirloin wrapped around shredded braised short rib with fois gras in the center and real truffle shavings and aioli comes close). The best falafel has all these wonderful flavors and textures that no fried chicken or french fry can have.

Personally, I found Mamoun’s to be #1 in the US and even better than the many I tried is Israel (I like my fallafel with a lot of parley in it; green, not brown inside). Taim is good, but I like Mamoun’s better.

And Mamoun’s is only $2.50! And open til 4am on weekends!

Does the Hummus Bar do BYO?

I could see Northern Rhone pairing with Fallafel. Maybe an offline?

I’m not sure if they do but I could always use my hebrew for persuasion [cheers.gif] I love good Champagne with falafel but I’m in for whatever…

OK, I need to try out Shwarma!! For your “burger quest” don’t overlook White Rose System…

Love love the falafel. Village Mediterranean in San Clemente does a great one.