Faiveley - Info on Producer and Buying Rec's Needed

Was always a fan of the Beaune Clos de l’Ecu as a value play too.

Dale- Faiveley is the producer who really opened my eyes to Burgundy and gave me the confidence to explore and invest more heavily and they are my #1 Burg producer in the cellar( bought from 09 on). Is Grand Vin your local retailer ? Great store and some of the best pricing I’ve seen on Faiveley. I posted a note a while back on their pricing on the Gevry Cazetiers. It was as good as I had seen.

For their current inventory I think the 2010 NSG Les Porets St. Georges and 2012 Volnay Santenots are no brainers and would be great wines to try to give a read on their style before you go to deep. I would also seek out the 09,10 or 12 of the Cazetiers. As mentioned up thread it’s pretty darn close to Grand Cru quality. I’d also consider splurging on the 2010 Corton that they still have. It’s an outstanding wine and according to CT notes looks like it’s still drinking very well. It was a revelation wine for me.

One last point, while WS gets panned here as a lifestyle magazine I found Bruce Sanderson to be a solid critic and palate for me to follow for Burgs. Plain and easy notes and was one of the sources that turned me on to Faiveley.

Cheers

Cazetiers + Faiveley usually gives good results :slight_smile: Not as sure about the Mercurey, it may be more “volatile” vintage to vintage, Craig, as the 2012 I’ve had is not special at all–workmanlike wine, and OK for C$25 hard to argue, but a long way from great.

Cheers–and luck—the slippery slope may have no end :wink:

You get Clos du Roy for $25?

NSG Les Porets has always delivered great value, certainly the 2010 should be on the buy list.

Sorry, should have been specific there, it’s just the generic villages offering—though we can get Chanzy’s Clos du Roy for $38.

Mike

Bingo. I was impressed, especially the GC Reds. No idea about pricing/QPR now.

RT

Bernard Herve really turned this place around. A wonderful gentlemen with a true love of classical music and a real people person. Erwan Faiveley graduated business school in the USA about 3 years ago and is now back .
It is difficult for me to get reliable info on how this change is affecting Faiveley . Hear a lot of rumors/ predictions though.
What rumors have you heard?

See my above post.

2001 was the old regime, little in common with the current style. These were dense, hard, austere

In my experience those are nothing special. It’s the Roy and Myglands that stand out.

Well, he certainly changed the style and the wines are certainly excellent now. There are those of use who thought the old style was equally excellent, it just needed more time to show it.

Agree. Really great wines

+1

Especially the 2010 Corton - Clos des Corton.

Flickengers has a bunch of the 10 Corton at $169 per

Actually, I found it to be them to be delicious for quite a while; had many Latricieres, and some Beze. Then they seemed to get tight a couple years ago.

I agree with the other posts about the 2010 Les Porets. It’s a fantastic wine. I’d be buying plenty of that if the price is right. The current low price on Wine-searcher is beyond “right” for the quality of that wine; it’s downright cheap.

Jumped on some of the 10 Porets, that seems to be the consensus here not to mention 2010 appears to be a ripe yet structured vintage across the globe. If I could own only one vintage of wine in my cellar from all regions, it would be hands down 2010.

This is on deck for a blind tasting against a 12 Cameron ‘Abbeys Ridge’ from OR, this should be really interesting to compare and contrast the two.

Indeed this is from Grand Vin (no connection) in Olympia WA, they have a great selection of Faivleys at really good prices.