Extremely expensive wines

For 1 bottle of wine?

Yes. Why not?

2% of annual income is way too much for me also. My cut-off for single bottles is around .20% to .25%, and I purchase very few (a couple per year) in that price range.

I was just clarifying, obviously this number is different for everybody, not judging? [cheers.gif]

Lot of us are poor, which obviates judgment about expensive wine. [snort.gif]

1 Like

Is this really how you all make purchase decisions? Based on multiples of quality? And how do you believe quality scales? Sounds like linearly but curious if there is actual rigor to such decision making or not.

2% is actually not that much. Consider if you are making $30,000/year, that is ā€œonlyā€ a $600 bottle of wine. [snort.gif]

Beer budget for wine taste. cheesehead

$600 is what I spent on automobiles when I made $30,000/year!

Iā€™m always amused by threads where people post about how they could be drinking DRC if they wanted to, but of course, they consider it highly wasteful and would just never.

2 Likes

It will vary from person to person of course, based on income, and other financial obligations. Marginal utility of money, and all that.

Over here, $50-$100/bottle feels normal, and easy to afford. Certainly not absurd. Much of what my girlfriend and I drink now is in that range, as is a good portion of my collection.

I also have a handful of $200-$250 bottles in my cellar, and only two worth significantly more than that, and one of those two was a gift from a friend.

On the other end, there are also some $15-$30 bottles that are delicious for easy drinking.

Iā€™d never spend 2% of my annual income on a single bottle, but not judging others who may choose to do so.

I never buy the ultra-high end, DRC, Petrus, Roumier, etc. I might re-evaluate when Iā€™m significantly older (Certainly curious to try them at least once in my life).

1 Like

If you have to ask, you canā€™t afford it

:joy::joy::joy:

Hey nowā€¦ to be fair there are wines at half Pavieā€™s price thatā€™s 6 times better. :wink:

4 Likes

Like yachts.

ftw

[winner.gif]

I go with Glenā€¦but like to add : normally if I open one of the top wines ( at the high limit opf $ 400 )ā€¦is for a speciall occasion and/or to give face to my friends. [cheers.gif]

[flash=]1 million dollars - YouTube

Whatā€™s DRC?

I had a 2000 Latour a couple weeks ago. I tried like hell to convince myself it was worth the retail value, and it was 10X better than any decent Bourdeaux from Napa. Couldnā€™t get thereā€¦ I would rather have had a Dominus (as one example), plus another half dozen still gaining age in my cellar for that one bottle.

1 Like

DRC = digestion really counts!

1 Like

For one-off purchase/special occasion: 0.1% net assets
For non-guilty drinking with a well prepared meal $100

Iā€™ve pretty much given up on buying Burgundy allocations, so makes it a bit more hypothetical.