Exploring some Deutz

12 of us gathered to explore a somewhat unheralded grande marque but one that’s been a favourite of mine for a long time. We had 2 bottles of each wine except the final flight of cuvée william magnums and the single bottles of 99 amour, 2000 cuvée William and 74 vinotheque. I’d say that the wines showed very clearly what I’d always thought ie that they are very, very long lived with an elegant, non-oxidative style. Nothing flashy but very reliable.

1996 Deutz Champagne Cuvée William Deutz Rosé - France, Champagne (30/07/2016)
Copper colour. Plenty of Christmas cake, spices and orange rind. Hefty and interesting wine. I’m not a rose fan generally, whether young or old, but this should continue to develop and provide interest for a while yet.

A flight of the two top cuvées…

1999 Deutz Champagne Amour de Deutz Blanc de Blancs - France, Champagne (30/07/2016)
Very nice showing. Bit darker and more developed than the 02 amour, as one would expect. Some very nice honeyed sweetness and hazelnuts.

2000 Deutz Champagne Cuvée William Deutz - France, Champagne (30/07/2016)
Darker colour than the 99 amour. Again, less giving, but, with time, it did open up to reveal some nice honey/burnt caramel and hints of oysters and cold, rolled steel.

A couple of 02s…

2002 Deutz Champagne Amour de Deutz Blanc de Blancs - France, Champagne (30/07/2016)
Paler yellow colour than the 08 BdB. Much more typical of a BdB on the nose and palate too. Notes of white bread and sweet honey developing. Very similar showing to my experiences with the 02 Taittinger cdc.

2002 Deutz Champagne Cuvée William Deutz - France, Champagne (30/07/2016)
Slightly darker colour than the 02 amour but not as much as I would have expected. Also, a bit sterner and more closed in than the amour. Long way to with this wine.

A flight of three roses…

2006 Deutz Champagne Brut Rosé Millésimé - France, Champagne (30/07/2016)
Certainly the most approachable of this rose trio. Colour was faded compared to the 08, but it had a lovely softness and plenty of volume on the palate. Very quaffable.

2008 Deutz Champagne Blanc de Blancs - France, Champagne (30/07/2016)
Pale yellow colour as one would expect for a BdB. However, on the nose and palate, much meatier/darker fruit than typical for a BdB. Fresh, elegant but will benefit from at least another decade.

2008 Deutz Champagne Brut Rosé Millésimé - France, Champagne (30/07/2016)
Blushing pink colour. A bit stern and quite tight still but seemed well balanced and built to age.

A solo wine blind…

1974 Deutz Champagne Blanc de Blancs Vinotheque - France, Champagne (30/07/2016)
Served blind. Remarkable nose of wild herbs/fresh cut flowers and grass. Interesting and unique element in my experience of champagne that was then also noted in the older cuvée Williams to follow. No hint of oxidation here. Dark gold/copper colour. Very little petillance left. Intriguing wine.

Flight of cuvée William in magnums…

1988 Deutz Champagne Cuvée William Deutz - France, Champagne (30/07/2016)
Less developed than the last bottle in January. Remarkably youthful colour. Still precise and elegant but without the complexity of the previous bottle.

1990 Deutz Champagne Cuvée William Deutz - France, Champagne (30/07/2016)
Back up mag after the first was badly corked. This was a pop and pour so initially quite a vibrant/aggressive mousse. Again a very youthful colour. Very similar to the 88 but slightly more giving.

1996 Deutz Champagne Cuvée William Deutz - France, Champagne (30/07/2016)
Much more of a bruiser than the 88 and 90 served alongside it. The only wine today with notes of bruised apples. Some real weight here and I suspect that this will age well for a long time still.

Sweet wine with dessert…

1995 Alois Kracher Chardonnay/Welschriesling TBA #7 Nouvelle Vague - Austria, Burgenland, Neusiedlersee (30/07/2016)
Such a good wine. Indeed, several people commented that it might have won wotd if we’d included the sweet wines in the vote. Orange colour. Lovely intensity and precision in the sweetness with no sense of being heavy or cloying.

Posted from CellarTracker

Great post, limited Deutz experience here…but not for much longer!