Example of highly allocated, yet inexpensive wines?

I think many “lesser” wines of famous producers apply here. I don’t know about the rest of the world but in Europe and especially France many such wines seem to mostly end up in restaurants instead of wineshops. Some that come to mind:

Clape CdR and Vin des Amis
Gonon Les Iles Feray
Château Grillet CdR

Also with many cultish producers the situation in France is now that you can find the wines in restaurants at affordable prices but retail is a whole different story. Here the first that come to mind are L’Anglore and Ganevat’s domaine wines.

Graillot’s Crozes-Hermitage on the other hand seems to be still readily available with steady prices. His Saint-Joseph and Hermitage on the other hand are not easy to find but I guess that’s because the production is so much smaller.

Julian Haart Kabi.

Ha. Wait until you put your kid in academy tennis. That shit cost more than my mortgage, too. And then he quits after winning district championships. I was thinking free-ride for college, baby.

Back to the OP, that call on Clape’s Vin de Amis is a good one. It can still be found, but wow is it so much harder today than before. At $25-$30, it’s a stooopidly good northern rhone wine. I’m not willing to pay much more for it, but at that price, it’s close to best of class. Insiders snag it up!

Lewelling Cabernet.

Another personal favorite of mine, that is becoming much much harder to find:

Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett Alte Reben

Usually around $25 and under on release. Another insider’s wine. I think Jayson Cohen snags every bottle that hits the States

If we’re talking in expensive I’m assuming that there is a price threshold. So I’ll put these in pricing categories that make sense to me in increments of $20 under $100.

Under $99
The Keller GG’s
Donhoff GG’s
Produttori Cru (Rabaja & Asili)

Under $77
Cameron - pretty much anything SVD and above.
PGC - Etzel Block
Guiberteau - The 'spensive single vineyards
NV Egly-Ouriet VV
Cedric Bouchard CdVV

Under $55
Musar (White & Rose: Gaston Hochar)
Bartlett Estate Blueberry Reserve

Under $33
NV Bartlett Estate Blueberry Oak Dry - Soon to only be available at the winery

Plenty of Vatan around. Providing you are OK with paying $250 a bottle for it.

overnoy is a great example. however i struggle with the huge variability between bottles so even if you like jura wines, best look elsewhere.

Tempier Rosé

Harder and harder each year to get more than a few.

That and the Lopez rosado were the two I was thinking of.

I would place some of Carlisle’s wines in this mix - not sure why I have not seen it mentioned before. Maybe everyone gets what they want? And what about some of Turley’s wines - their Juvenile and Old Vines Zins are usually in the $25 range or so and not EVERYONE gets them, right?

Cheers.

[wow.gif]

I have yet to see any Wendouree here in my state. Or should I say in the US?

1 Like

That pricing seems whacko.

I don’t think the rosado is “allocated” in the sense that it’s produced in small quantities and there’s very high demand. I would guess the issue in Seattle is that there’s very little demand so the distributor only brought in a few cases.

The real problem is that you have a taste for a wonderful but really obscure wine.

Miani

When I see these, they are never very cheap.

[/quote]

Ha. Wait until you put your kid in academy tennis. That shit cost more than my mortgage, too. And then he quits after winning district championships. I was thinking free-ride for college, baby.

Back to the OP, that call on Clape’s Vin de Amis is a good one. It can still be found, but wow is it so much harder today than before. At $25-$30, it’s a stooopidly good northern rhone wine. I’m not willing to pay much more for it, but at that price, it’s close to best of class. Insiders snag it up!
[/quote]

Is there a better wine in the world for €8/9–??

Two-Buck Chuck. People who miss the first tranche after release are forced to pay $3…or more. hitsfan

Good call - in fact you can add in all Wendourees. The Shiraz though is worth double its cost immediately.

It is definitely highly allocated