Ex-top 10 Cornas producers thread?

I refuse to post anything about Cornas HERE again - until my original contributions have been restored …

Also MY “work” has been deleted …

Mods, please delete every thread I’ve ever posted in, or everyone is getting neon green facials.

As long as we’re boycotting the topic of Cornas producers … I don’t think there’s a copyright issue here. Lyle says that his partner/agent posted something without his authorization. Since Lyle and Matt had taken a lot of heat here for similar prior posts, and Lyle had said it wouldn’t happen again, I can see why the moderators acted on his request and killed the post. It had nothing to do with whether the list was copyrighted or not. Whether they should have killed the whole thread, I don’t know, but given the history, and Lyle’s public statement that these posts by Matt would desist, I can see why that seemed reasonable.

If people really want to discuss the list, I think we could cut and paste it and it would come within the fair use exception to copyright law.

Now… that should spark another 8-10 digressive posts. neener

Can a mod please delete most threads that Gerhard has participated in given his request?

What Lyle wrote is copyrighted material. In America copyright is inherent in the original work, you don’t have to detail that it’s a copyright. It isn’t a patent and it isn’t a trademark where you need an application. Now if the republication of the content is fair use that’s a different matter, but merely putting your content in a public space doesn’t mean it’s not copyrighted or protected.

You can post a link. A link itself is not a copyrighted work. The content within the link is. That’s the difference. Do they not teach attorneys about basic copyright in bumpkin florida? [snort.gif]

Sometimes we ask questions knowing the answers already, but I guess you don’t litigate . . .

:wink:

And in Florida, all bets are off. We do what we want.

Unfortunately once deleted we can not recover it. Jorge has already apologized for what happened. If you had to deal with Lyle in which Jorge had to in this instance, you most likely would have acted in the same way so wouldn’t have to deal with Lyle.

Jorge is but a simple immigrant worker moderating this website for free. Hopefully you don’t ask for his deportation for this senseless act of negligence and violence he committed and can find forgiveness in your generous heart. I am saddened by our loss of your future posts on Cornas but please remember that sometimes mistakes happen. Naughty Jorge has been spanked and he knows not to do it again.

It’s a tough gig being a moderator. At times it’s a no win.

Jorge
I always have respect for someone who acknowledges a mistake and apologises for it. If only our politicians had the same attitude. It would save a lot of stupidity.
regards
Ian

Funniest post of the day!

So…who are the Ex. top 10 Cornas producers?

©

Soren - Just had the 1998 Columbo Cornas Les Ruchets tonight with a thick pork rib chop that was brined for 24 hrs and served with a mustard vinegar-mushroom sauce. It was a fantastic match. It’s mellowed out with no hint of overbearing oak but still young enough to go at least another 6 years.

What is this outsourcing you speak of? pileon
Come on man, you’re the American here: step up and GITERDONE~ [snort.gif]

All the trolling is hilarious.

Not everyone agrees with Lyle’s tastes, but I would gander that a number of folks on this board would agree with his picks, whether they admit it or not.

as for Jean Luc Colombo, I’ve only had two of his wines, both from 2004, one La Louviere and cannot remember the other. They were lovey but fairly ripe and modern in style. I found them a bit anonymous. Cannot speak to other vintages.

i mean realistically, as discussed in the prior thread, there’s really not more than 10 really great cornas producers. Maybe one or two in the list can be replaced.

The ones that Lyle imports?

My recollection is that Colombo uses a bit too much new oak, at least that was the case a few years ago.

Good to hear about the Colombos mellowing, -they sure needed some. Definitely not a traditionalist, but very careful and curious.
Brined pork and big Cornas, -I’ll remember that.

Drank some '94 and '95 Voge Vieilles Fontaines a few years ago. Great stuff.

-Søren.

And 10 may be generous.

If you go back to the 80s, Clape and Verset were clearly the tops, with Juge, Voge and de Barjac a notch down, as I recall. I don’t recall drinking Michel in those days, but maybe he simply wasn’t imported to the West Coast, where I was living at the time.

The 80s were the turning point. Until then, Cornas was often sold in bulk to cafes in Valence. No one appreciated it and the Jaboulets and Guigals never seemed to care to bottle particularly good ones. Kermit Lynch was selling '82 and '83 Clape and Verset for $8 or so. Many vineyards had been allowed to go wild. With the prices that Clape and Allemand command today, there’s an incentive to restore vineyards and make better wine, but it’s still a small appellation.

I’ve quite liked the Balthazar Chaillot in 2010 and 2012, which seemed quite authentic and traditional. I also liked the Alain Verset 2010, though was a little notch down.

According to Livingstone-Learmonth, Colombo entirely destems, uses a cold-presoak before fermentation and then ages the wine in 80% new barriques. He was born near Marseilles and worked at several Lurton properties in Bordeaux before coming to the Rhone. So, no, he’s not very traditional.