Everyday cognac

Gene,

You got the last of the last of the pre-price increase stuff, well done!

Barry,

I haven’t had the heritage but I know where to go to grab a taste! [wink.gif]

I should point out to everyone, the OP was asking for a good ‘everyday’ cognac that’s ‘well south of three figures’ and people are throwing out random recs for things from $75 and up, which is not at all what the OP is looking for.

Dudognon ‘Selection’ (5yr) is about $35 and the ‘Reserve’ (10yr) is about $42 in NY. There are cheaper Cognacs out there but for the price these are among the best you can find in the national market.

He said everyday brandy and less than 3 figures, not well south of 3 figures. That was Corey that said that.

I’d rather have dartigalongue or l’encantada xo than any cognac less than 100 except maybe pasquet organic 10.

I dunno, I didn’t see “well south of three figures,” I saw “what is a reliable and easy to source brandy that I can buy for south of three figures?”

Either way, I do appreciate (as someone who isn’t the OP) all the suggestions and I’m particularly intrigued about the Dudognon collection, but from W-S it doesn’t appear that they are in the national market. They seem to be limited to NY and a couple of neighboring states, CA, and I think I saw one listing in TX for one of them. Frustrating given the difficulty of shipping and even flying home with spirits in one’s checked bag. Grapes seems to have a great price on the Vielle Reserve - I’d like to be able to grab one of those.

Dudognon is through Skurnik so they are likely most visible in NY/NJ & CA. But they are a national distributor I would think they have some coverage in other parts of the country. I ran through the lineup of 5-10-20 in October at a tasting, and I hadn’t had them in at least 3-5 years. They were impressive considering the low price points.

Fine drams, cognac expert, and other places ship to most places.

This and the 4-7 are superb for low prices.

Dartigalongue XO? I’ll give it a try.

Have you had the Dudognon Vielle Reserve? I’d never had guessed it was under $100, I find it almost as good as Delamain Vespers.

Our Costcos have sold Tesseron Lot 76 this year for something like $90. K&L has Lot 90 for $70 and I believe they had a bunch of 76 for around $100 this year. It’s sold out currently but it came back in stock at least once at the same price.

If only the 53 were similarly discounted…

Yes. It’s ok, I’m not so much a fan of dudognon, I have a bottle of heritage open but it’s not my favorite.

Forgot about filloux; another favorite cognac producer.

We may just have different tastes.

Thanks all for some great suggestions. In the end I picked up the 1738 for the compelling reason that it’s the only one I could track down locally (Memphis). I’m happy enough: it has some of the DNA of the original request so should make the Mrs happy too.

IMG_9432.jpg
This is my old bottle of Lot 90. It has Vintus as the importer so must be 2010-2015.

Excellent choice

This is what we drink.

The prices here were more in line with what Gene mentioned only a few years ago. I bet some smaller shops still have bottles at those prices. They were the best values I knew of in Cognac back then. At the new pricing, I’m no longer a buyer. I don’t think the 90 is that good, and 76 is nice, but not special enough for me to pay well over $100.