Everybody wants a wine to show well . . .

No, it was a CA Syrah. Good to know that though, I was considering opening one soon.

Yes I think you guys are right. Thanks for confirming. And damn I missed some good wines that I popped, lol. Oh well, family liked them.

I think the “whose palate I trust” is key. Too often, esp. on CellarTracker, I read notes that say a wine is over the hill only to taste the wine and find that it is actually closed and too young. Some of this is different people looking for different things in a wine. Some of it is people buying wines on the secondary market that have not been stored well and show older than wines bought when young and stored properly. And some of this is just people writing notes without sufficient experience to be able to tell a closed wine from a wine over the hill - I will admit to a number of mistakes I made in this regard when I was younger - I particularly remember a 1988 Vosne Romanee from Bruno Clair that I thought was over the hill. Didn’t drink my remaining bottle for years because why bother. When I finally opened one, it was great.

I agree, Howard, random TNs can be misleading. On CT, if you “star” those members whose palates you trust to become a “fan,” their TNs will float to the top. Here on WB, it doesn’t take too long to figure out who has similar preferences.