Ever had Reynvaan Vineyards?

Others can speak more specifically, as I have had only a few Reynvaan – but I have lots of Cayuse. They are generally similar – though Reynvaan is not all Rocks fruit. So they have some with the Rocks funk, and some without. I remember being intrigued with the whites a while ago. I am not at all familiar with their Bdx blend though.

Reynvaan tends to be easier to source in the secondary market at prices close to or even sometimes below release price – which is not the case with Cayuse. I have a general anecdotal sense that people tend to prefer Cayuse over Reynvaan – but if you like that style it is something to try (as you might like their take on it better). Sorry not to be too much more helpful!

I’m a big fan of Reynvaan, super nice folks on a beautiful property in the foothills if you ever get a chance to visit. I havent had the classic except out of barrel I believe, but the whites are refreshing and complex and I’ve had nights where 8-10 year old Syrahs have even edged out Cayuse (who is probably my favorite producer).

I have had a few of these over the years. For some reason, these wines have a smoky camp fire like element that I just can’t seem to get beyond. It’s just too overpowering…like an over-oaked wine that would otherwise be great if you could just get past all that oak. Although. they are highly rated by many. I have literally been experiencing this camp fire thing while others sitting around me drinking the same wine don’t get that at all. I’ll be curious if you experience the camp fire thing when you try these wines.

Agree they are Cayuse-like. There is a connection between Reynvaan and Baron. If you like Cayuse, you will like Reynvaan. And they are far more generous with
their allocations compared to Cayuse. But you gotta like the funk. Takes a good decade for the wines to mellow out. I started buying in 2012 and stopped in 2014. I sample a bottle once in a while, but still find the funk overwhelming. Not my thing any more. And they are easy to find in the secondary market at or below release price.

Thanks for the input folks! I ordered two of each offered. I kinda like “funk” from time to time. So maybe I’ll like these. I recall having a Syrah from Donovan that had a smokiness to it. I liked it.

I love the funk! Does the funk increase, decrease, or stay consistent with age?

I’ve found the funk kind of “integrates” with time and air. These wines really are at their best at 7+ years, I had a 2000 Cayuse Coccinelle last night from the 2018 cellar sale and it was one of the best I’ve had.

Michael,

Glad you ordered, I am optimistic you will enjoy their wines. In fact I will be ordering some in the next day or so.

I cannot recommend Reynvaan highly enough. Both for their wines and as very special people. I learned about them after being put on the waiting list for Cayuse some years ago. And have not looked back. Now I am on both lists. A happy spot for me is to crack open a bottle of Stonessence - any vintage. The drink well young and old. Lately I have found some of older ones 10/11/12 benefit from some time to open.

They represent the highest percent of bottles of any particular winery in our collection. Followed closely by Cayuse. Basically Cayuse could be described a slightly more masculine while Reynvaan a bit more feminine. Enjoy and please report back.

Going to give a bit of a dissenting view here - I had a bottle of Reynvaan while on vacation in Washington and found them too sweet. Very drinkable, not bad, but a bit alcoholic at the edges and excessively sweet. But I am a total Francophile and have this reaction to a lot of California and Washington wines

I would love to try the wine, but given their futures model, and shipping limitations, I still haven’t tasted a bottle I bought yet.

I find Reynvaan to be highly enjoyable. Their wine pops up at Flickinger from time to time at very attractive prices.

Really accessible and great pricing in secondary market (KL auction, Benchmark, probably Wine Bid although I don’t use that site). I’ve been picking up some bottles for under $70 lately. Worth checking out if you like Rocks District Syrah!

1 Like

Of the 4 wines I have tasted all are excellent. Love Washington State Syrah!

2012 Reynvaan Family Vineyards Syrah In the Hills - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (12/16/2020)
Wonderful wine with black olives, minerals, funk, raspberries and pepper. Medium plus finish. Another winner from Walla Walla. (93 points)

2010 Reynvaan Family Vineyards Syrah In the Rocks - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (1/30/2020)
Mixed Offerings at Kenwood (Kenwood Restaurant, Minneapolis): This wine was unfortunately at the end of the tasting but the star. Finished a glass at home. Holly Cow!!! White pepper, stone, blueberries, cherry, dust, black olives and earth. Concentrated and long finish. This is a top 10 for sure for 2020! Cheaper than Cayuse and is as good! Wow!
Day 2: Not as good. Lost the intensity. This is a consume on day 1. (95 points)

2009 Reynvaan Family Vineyards Syrah In the Rocks - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (7/26/2019)
Washington State Tasting (John’s House Bloomington, MN): The Rocks, Rocks! Best place to grow the Syrah grape in the world for the money. Black olives, stone, white pepper, minerals, blueberries and sour cherries. Long and complex finish. Wine is off the charts. Drink now to 2028. (96 points)

2012 Reynvaan Family Vineyards Syrah Foothills Reserve - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (6/14/2019)
Washington State Trip Day 1 (Seattle Brother’s House): Funk, olives, spice, roasted meats and blue currents. Super complex wine and long finish. First in the voting. (94 points)

Our wine Nazi (who thinks he knows all things wine), has invited them

I see this is an old post but wondering what other wine events your wine director has put on. I would guess based on this one that many Berserkers would be interested in them.