Ever add citric acid to a wine?

High praise.

1 Like

LOL!

I like to swirl around used bandaids to replicate some of that old skool brett

2 Likes

You can add orange juice and voilà, you have a basic sangria :grin:

I have half a bottle of 1990 Sauternes that is a bit lacking in acid; adding a pinch of either citric or tartaric acid would do it some good!

Just realised citric is an anagram of critic. No idea why that came to mind. Critic acid?

1 Like

I can see it now Dean & Deluca selling little tins of wine adjuncts…. Tartaric acid, Saddle Leather grains, Pencil Shavings, Lemon zest, Forest Floor (compost) and, yes , bandaids.

There was one (now retired) producer in Meursault who back in the day supposedly acidified with citric rather than tartaric acid because it was cheaper… The wines are very sought-after today.

Gentlemen never acidify and tell?

No, the wine diamonds are potassium tartrate, a salt as noted above. To improve acidity you would want tartaric acid. As a consumer you could add citric, and it could definitely improve a flabby wines. But as Larry noted, adding it during production of a wine can produce some very negative reactions in the wine. That said, I know of winemakers who have added citric and not had any issues. But it’s a risky choice.

2 Likes