Eurocave Vieillitheque Confort v264 - questions

Just pull it out. You might have to use a flathead screwdriver to pry it loose. Change every year.

Michael

1 Like

Remove the shelf below so you can get leverage.

Michael

1 Like

I have this same unit. I honestly think these filters used by Eurocave are a scam designed to get folks to buy replacement filters. I haven’t changed my filter in more than a decade and it’s working the same as it always has.

When I’m super tight on storage space, I’ll go two layers on the moving shelf I have devoted to Riesling. WARNING, however: be very careful when moving the shelf in and out, as bottles can easily shift around (and off) the shelf if you’re not. Bordeaux bottles would be a bit more stable, but I wouldn’t be any less careful. Burgundy-style bottles would be an absolute no-go on the two layers thing, for me.

Mine requires changing. When it gets old, the inside walls of the cabinet sweat and sometimes ice. Once I change it, those conditions disappear.

Michael

1 Like

Confirmed: A loaded Cave is a happy cave.

I popped the old filter out with a small lever. As others on this site have pointed out, the filter material is just pellets of activated charcoal. I bought a lifetime supply on Amazon for $12. Pull the top off the filter, remove the paper screen, fill and replace.

Charging $45 + $10 shipping for these things is obscene

2 Likes

This is what I’ve done too - a huge bag of charcoal is cheap on Amazon. I replaced the paper screen with a piece of a coffee filter.

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I have an opportunity to buy 2 of these that were made ~2000. $600 for the pair seems like a good deal as the cabinets and shelves appear to be in great condition.

One is working, the other is not. I suspect the control board is bad in the one that doesn’t work as it will not turn on at all, no lights, nada. In the one that is working, the temp display isn’t working, but the “Test” switch lights up properly when pushed. I am guessing there’s just a battery to replace for the LCD display.

Anyone had experience changing the control board in these or the LCD for the display? Any advice?

I’d call Wine Enthusiast to check on spare parts. I went through this a few years ago and they said parts are dwindling on some of the older units and with supply chain issues as they were (~2021) some of the 15-20+ year old parts were going to be end of life. What may be a simple “swap” of parts will turn sour if they don’t make them anymore.

Technical support at WE were really nice and helpful and even offered to look at Craigslist photos for me to help verify the age of the unit, etc. But they were candid with some of the drawbacks on the older models being EOL for support.

1 Like

The temp display uses a coin type battery. Use a screwdriver to pop the display off to access the battery.

There is/was a thread showing how someone refurbished the control board on a Eurocave, not sure it is the same model.

also found this http://www.eurocaverepair.com

Mike

1 Like

Got some helpful files from WineEnthusiast for anyone checking this thread in the future. Send me a PM with your email and I’ll send them to you. User’s manual, wiring diagrams, etc.

1 Like

@Troy_Stark …new to this discussion board. We also have two “vintage” EuroCave Confort Vieillitheque Classic 264 units…manufactured in 2005. One unit is running fine, other seems to not be chilling. Replaced charcoal filters on schedule as well as thermostat batteries, and tested (Red and Green lights do illuminate). Not sure if it is the compressor. Fortunately, both units are in our basement, and the ambient temp is usually around 62 degrees-ish. We do hear the compressor run, but no matter what temperature setting you place the unit at, does not chill. Can you please send me the user’s manual and wiring diagrams? Could not figure out where to PM you directly (not obvious on the website). Thanks

@Jody_Flatt Welcome aboard. If you click on Troy’s name, that should open a window where you can select “Message.”

Jody, I have an old 264 too and have some info if still needed. BTW, mine quit cooling earlier this year too (I bought second hand 8 years ago) so we replaced the compressor for about $200 and it now runs like new, temp 55 and humidity 70. Hopefully good for another 15 years. Rick

1 Like

Rick:
We still have yet to locate someone here in Colorado Springs (or Denver) that will work on the unit.
Tried a “hard reset”…which with the v264 is basically turning it off, unplugging it for 1-2 hours, then plugging it in again and turning it back on
No change. The unit “runs” but does not cool. I suspect it is the compressor as well.
Any info you might be able to forward would be appreciated

Thanks so much

Our Eurocaves have been workhorses, but if you had told us 20 years ago that dealing with Wine Enthusiast and trying to find someone to service these units was going to be so difficult, not sure we would have purchased the EuroCaves.

Hi Jody,

Attached is the email from Emrbraco in regard to replacing the compressor in the 264 Eurocave.

Rick Bailey

(Attachment Re_ Replacement Compressor.msg is missing)

Jody, I sent 2 replies but they were rejected because of size and file type so send me your email and I will send again. Rick Bailey