Essential canon of mid-priced "value"

I suggested Felsina and still stand by it, but despite our disagreement there, I agree 100% with Rich on Lisini. I should have included it in my original post - it has been my go-to BdM since the 1990. Great, age-worthy, consistent, reasonably priced, available. One of the staples of my cellar! [cheers.gif]

My kind of thread - thanks to everyone for all the great contributions and thanks to Dave for starting it! Many of my suggestions have been mentioned above already, but here’s what comes to mind:

Bordeaux: Grand-Puy-Lacoste, Sociando Mallet, Prieuré-Lichine
Rioja: La Rioja Alta, CVNE, Muga, LdH
Burgundy: J A Ferret
Sauternes: almost everything except Yquem fits the bill here. Suduiraut, Guiraud, Lafaurie-Peyraguey, and Coutet are personal favorites.

I’m not well versed in Tokaji but I’d put Royal Tokaji Co, Disznoko, and Oremus on the list.

I’d add Bedrock and Turley to Ridge for heritage wines, not just Zin.

A number of Napa and especially Sonoma options fit the bill here. Hyde de Villaine, Ramey, Rivers-Marie, Truchard, Ceritas, Pax, Massican, Matthiasson, Rafanelli, Calluna, Dehlinger, Scherrer, Walter Hansel. I’d also personally add Drew, Baxter, and Halcon from Mendocino. And Edmunds St John from the Sierra foothills. And Mt/Domaine Eden from Santa Cruz Mtns.

Aussies…Leeuwin, Henschke (many of their wines fall in this bracket), Wynn, Tyrrells, Brokenwood, Clonakilla, Grosset, Mount Horrocks, and so many more.

Bordeaux has good value for quality these days up and down the price spectrum. Tour St Christophe is crazy good for thirty-ish bucks. So is Sansonnet. 2019 Domaine De Chevalier Rouge futures have been $60 for several months. It would be hard to find a better QPR anywhere for my palate. d’Issan in the $50s. It will vary by your tastes, but I would think that most would be able to find something great for the price.

For Bordeaux, at the top of your price range - Branaire-Ducru, Talbot, Domaine de Chevalier, Giscours, Cantenac Brown, Grand Puy Lacoste, La Croix Ducru Beaucaillou. A bit lower priced and better vfm - Meyney, Capbern, Labegorce, Siran, Cantemerle, Sociando Mallet, Tour St Christophe (right bank).

[winner.gif]

I might change riesling to JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett and Spätlese, only because I anticipate Willi Schaefer pricing will continue to go up faster than other Mosel producers. Prum is a classic estate, consistently high quality year after year, and has pricing that remains reasonable.

Really solid list right there!

I would definitely have Frog’s Leap up there for the Napa Cab, I do not think there is a better Cab in that $75 and under category, frankly, I like it more than most of the princely stuff. Solid and classic Rutherford.

Add Pegau for CDP, depending on vintages, can still get for $50. The 2017 came out at that price point, was a steal IMHO.

I would also add Thivin for Bojo. Arguably one of the best QPRs on the planet and so consistent from vintage to vintage - as in consistently good, not as in homogenized.

Depending also on vintage - think 2014 and 2019 - Bordeaux can often be an incredible value. Still cannot believe how many Classified Growths and top notch Bordeaux I bought in 2014 for $55 and under. Grabbed some recently 2016s as well for $50 and under, including Branaire Ducru on sale, plus Ferriere and Fonbadet.

Surprised the OP does not have Loire Cab Franc listed, it’s a treasure-trove of classic wines for $50 and under. Baudry. Plouzeau. Raffault. Roche Neuves. Etc.

I certainly agree on Prüm, but left them (and Ridge, LdH, and Musar) off my list since the OP already had them listed and I was just suggesting additions.

I also agree with several posters that for pradikat riesling, it’s hard to go wrong with just about any quality producer’s kabinett or spätlese since, with only a couple of exceptions, they are all under $50, but my sense is that JJP and WS are the two that would be most widely acknowledged here as reference-points (or as “canon”), and both also seem to have fairly broad distribution/availability, unlike many others.

1 Like

There already are a number of great recommendations on the thread. So I’ll only chime in with some personal favorites not already mentioned and categories that weren’t on the OP’s list:

Chardonnay (Chablis style) - Gilbert Picq 1er Cru, Samuel Billaud 1er Cru
Champagne - Vilmart 1er Cru Grande Réserve, Gonet-Medeville Tradition 1er Cru Brut, Pierre Gerbais Grains de Celles Extra-Brut, Cédric Bouchard Côte de Val Vilaine, Savart L’Ouverture
Sparkling (ex-Champagne) - Barone Pizzini Franciacorta Pas Dosé

Outside of the OP’s list:
Burg (red) - Domaine des Croix, Rapet, Joblot, Lumpp, A. et P. de Villaine
Burg (white, non-Chablis): Simon Bize, A. et P. de Villaine
N. Rhône: Domaine Monier St-Joseph
Loire (red): Collier, Roches Neuves, Guiberteau
Loire (white): Collier, Guiberteau, Domaine de La Roche Bleue, Château Soucherie
Lombardia: Ar.Pe.Pe Sassella Stella Retica Reserva
South Africa (white): Badenhorst Chenin Blanc single vineyards, Alheit Vineyards Cartology
Portugal: Niepoort Poeirinho, Quinta da Popa Vinhas Velhas

1 Like

Specifically the Wynns Black Label Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon. A true regional Aussie classic, first made in the 1950s and is good as ever now. Ages for 30+ years in good vintages and is not overworked and is great value. Here is NZ you can buy it for around NZ$30 (US$20)

Brodie

Just wanted to bump the Gonet Medeville Champagne Brut… Customers have been coming in to the store and calling about this wine. I’m like ??? what’s going on. Ahh Washington Post highlighted this wine as sort of a hidden value champagne.

It’s great; was featured in a year in champagne too, along with D-V

1 Like

ah! I need to watch this.

1 Like