Epic tasting of 15 Tercero wines with Larry

First I want to start off by thanking Chris and Joanne for putting this dinner together. The food was unbelievably good, the service was awesome, and the company was even better. Also, I want to say thanks to Larry for bringing so many good wines and being so generous with his time! A couple of years ago I spoke with fellow berserker Matt Mauldin about Tercero and Larry’s wines. He said something that has stuck with me every time I have a Tercero wine…he said, “Larry’s wines are almost too perfect on the palate.” Well, on this night they definitely lived up to that comment!

IMHO Tercero wines are extremely underrated QPR. I have been a huge fan of Larry and his wines since the beginning of his journey. His whites have always been our favorite Tercero wines…I have not always been a huge fan of Larry’s reds, but recently I have seen his reds evolve to be unbelievably good.

I have been to a lot of different wine dinners and wine tastings and I can honestly say that the wines were all fantastic and went really well with the food. I didn’t take great notes and IMHO I wouldn’t in this environment due to enjoying the company and food to much. Some how I missed the syrah flight…I think I still had wine in my glasses from the previous flight…so no notes. My top flight of the night was the Mourvedre by a long shot.

My wines of the night:
06 Mourvedre…seamless, drinking really well tonight…my #1…see if you can get larry to sell you some flirtysmile
10 Viognier …a special wine that will continue to evolve…damn good
14 Outlier…DONE…back up the truck and get some
11 Mourvedre…fantastic wine definitely could have been with the top wine of the night for me, but out classed by the 06 tonight.

2nd Place
13 Viognier…I love this wine…simple and good
13 Grenache Blanc…very good and starting to round out a bit…check on in a couple of months.
09 Grenache Blanc…once the wine opened up it was singing, but the petrol is a bit distracting at the start
14 Albarino…It was a bit warm and this wine needs to be cold…back the truck up

Need time (IMHO Larry’s wines need some time in bottle to round out and these wines need some more time)
14 Rose…this was too cold…Larry’s rose needs to be a bit warmer to sing and some time in the bottle
10 Grenache (larner)…needs some time, but went well with the duck.
10 Grenache (camp 4)…huge wine…needs time, great paring with the duck.
13 Grenache blanc…still needs to round out a bit, but it going to be a really good one when it grows up.
12 Late Harvest Viognier…really cold and needs air…hard to judge…but still great finish(I recently had one of these and it sat in the bottle for a week in the fridge and it was awesome)

Once again…thank you Larry for taking time away from your family to come down to Newport and have dinner with all of us! [cheers.gif]

The Outlier is a consistent purchase for me. What I have been hoping for is the return of lychee to this wine. I am not sure what turns that flavor on or off, but do I love it to the exclusion of others.

Steve,

If only I could ‘guarantee’ that those aromas would be there each year! I know that they are certainly a ‘tell tale’ aroma for Gewurztraminer, and I find them amplified some years and not so much in other years - but my methodology for making the wine is the same each year. I do believe the new 14 has a good dose of it, as does my current 13 vintage . . .

Cheers!