Eleven Madison Park wine

That’s my take as well, be adventurous!

I was at Grace in Chicago a few years ago and ordered the wine tasting. With one course they served a white from Greece that I wasn’t enamored with and before I could adjust my napkin a replacement wine was sitting before me that was much more to my liking.

Thank you all for your input. Unfortunately, my wife and I were underwhelmed by the wine pairing at Eleven Madison Park. She had the regular pairing for $180 and I had the reserve pairing for $335. None of the wines were great with most being just “eh”. I wish I had just ordered a bottle from the menu or even ordered by the glass as they had a nice selection available. I also felt that it wasn’t a particularly good value based on the caliber of the wines. I was expecting more.

Did you say something? Spending that much on wine, it should be excellent borderline great.

Curious, what did they pair with the food?

How many wines were involved in the pairing? Assuming it was no more than 5-7 wines, that sounds insanely expensive…$50-ish per glass of wine? I agree with you that for $335+$180 you could have had two nice bottles or one amazing bottle from their list.

Wow - that sounds pretty bad Glenn. I think “somm’s matches” tend to be very luck-dependent, mood etc. I’ve been massively lucky once (last year) at another NYC establishment (pours included chassagne 1er, chambolle lieu dit, Cos and d’Yquem) but I’m pretty sure that was purely the guy’s discretion after we chatted, based on stuff he had kicking around rather than the “official” matches. But for $335 they should really be pouring some really great wine as standard!

If we assume you have one of the four glasses to the bottle and three times mark up, you should have the equivalent of wines that wholesale for around $400.

Cannot believe a restaurant cannot find wines worth drinking at that price.

Think I would have had a 375ml of Krug, bottle of Roulot Aligote 2014 and a 2016 Foillard Cote du Py and saved myself $225 vs. the pairings after your experience.

that sounds tragic actually. if you have time, i’d love to read some of the wines you were served. i’m a little shocked they didn’t notice you weren’t enjoying them as they seem to be very into that.

Not to detract from your extremely valid point, but I think your math is a bit off. Just focusing on the reserve pairing at $335, I would assume that Glenn was poured at least half a bottle in total, wouldn’t you? That would suggest a $670 bottle off the list, which would cost $223 wholesale at 3x markup. With heavier pours and/or higher markup, one could imagine that the equivalent is under $150 bottle wholesale (~$200 retail). Yes, I would expect a composite $200 bottle to be more than “eh” but as this board frequently points out, that $200 gets less and less from the most favored wine regions (cough, cough Burgundy). Again, I’m not excusing it – the restaurant should indeed be able to find wines worth drinking even at the reduced price.
Regards,
Peter

I’ve had two wine parings. First, at the late Charlie Trotters and second, at French Laundry. Both were celestial. Expensive but celestial!

Never been to EMP. Do they tell you which wines will be poured before you decide whether to go with the pairings?

My knowledgeable NYC foodie friend went recently and said it was “all show and no go” He was unimpressed to say the least by the food quality.

the best way to enjoy emp is to sit at the bar and order the duck a la carte. it is the most notable dish they serve besides the bread, which is also complementary at the bar. this obviously makes selecting the wine quite simple.

From my experience, wine pairings are often how restaurants make some of their best margins on wine.

Last time I did a pairing was about 5 years ago at a friend’s request at Daniel, where the restaurant with supposedly the deepest Burgundy cellar in NYC served us… an Oregon pinot (and some Alsatian riesling for white) and no Burgundy. I’m happy to drink Oregon pinot, but that is very much not what I’d want to drink Daniel. I haven’t been back.

When you see the prices on these wine lists, you are glad you live in Europe.

Even discounting for how hard it was to put it together (it is a maginificent selection), the ***, NYC rent, they are really taking the proverbial p$$$ on most things.

Pairings on our last visit…

Caviar Souffle with Clam, Leek and Potato
Pascal Doquet, Coeur de Terroir, Verus, Blanc de Blancs, Champagne 2005

Foie Gras seared with Maple & Apple
Ch. Guiraud, Sauternes 2002

Lobster charred with Pumpkin & Citrus
Sandhi, Rita’s Crown, Chardonnay, Sta. Rita Hills, CA, 2011

Mushroom Tart with Black Truffle & Thyme
Balgera, Valgella, Valtellina Superiore, Lombardy, Italy, 2002

Duck: Honey & Lavender Glazed with Beets & Blood Pudding
Ch. de Beaucastel, CDP, 2001

Honeynut Squash with Cheddar & Pretzel
Krug, Grand Cuvee, Champagne

Chocolate: Shortbread with Malt & Barley Ice Cream
Muse Vintage Wines, L’Archiviste, Maury, Roussillon 1978

To me, the ability to drink wines with some age on them was the main attraction. So many times, wines in restaurants with age are simply priced beyond the pale.

was that a standard or premium pairing?

Premium 2 years ago. :thinking: Think it was $295 at the time

Yikes.